Certificate Programs for International Students

Certificate Programs: How to Apply

COVID-19 Information

Study in Los Angeles this Summer 2022

New F-1 Visa Students
New hybrid programs available to meet F-1 visa requirements.

An I-20 and F-1 visa are not required if studying from your home country.

For more information, visit How to Apply

View UCLA COVID-19 Protocols

Apply for a certificate program and to obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. The I-20 allows you to then apply for an F-1 visa to study full-time in the United States. If studying from your home country, an I-20 and F-1 visa are not required.

Step 1: Declare Certificate Candidacy

On the webpage of your chosen certificate program, choose 'Apply Now' and follow the prompts. If you are new to UCLA Extension, you will need to create a student account to get started.

Complete your student profile and the certificate candidacy application.

The certificate candidacy fee (if applicable) will be added to your cart. This fee must be paid along with the international student fee ($2000 USD) in order for your I-20 to be issued.

View Eligible Certificate Programs

Step 2: Prepare Supporting Documents

Before beginning your I-20 application, review the information below.

Please note that all supporting documents uploaded with your application must be in either .pdf or .jpg format

Students participating in courses offered solely by UCLA Extension must meet the English Language Requirements outlined below.

Accepted Tests and Minimum Scores

Scores that are equal to or higher than the listed minimum scores from the following tests, taken within the past two years, can satisfy the English proficiency requirement.

  • TOEFL: 80 (iBT)
  • IELTS: 6.5
  • iTEP: 4.5
  • CAE: B (CEFR C1)
  • CPE: C (CEFR C2)
  • TOEIC: 685
  • DUOLINGO (DET): 105

While no other type of test score is accepted in general, students who are affected by test center closures may request an exception to submit an alternate test score.

International Baccalaureates (IB) students or students currently enrolled in an academic institution where the primary language of instruction is English may submit an official academic transcript or verification of enrollment from their school as proof of English proficiency.


UCLA Extension recognizes English as the official language from any of the following recognized countries and territories, and as such are exempt from providing proof of English proficiency.

Applicants who are citizens of the following countries and territories and identify with/use English as their first/primary language do not need to establish English language proficiency via examination.

  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Botswana
  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Botswana
  • British Indian Ocean Territory
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Canada (excluding Quebec)
  • Cayman Islands
  • Cook Islands
  • Dominica
  • Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
  • Fiji
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar
  • Grenada
  • Guam
  • Guernsey
  • Guyana
  • India
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Jamaica
  • Jersey
  • Kenya
  • Kiribati
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • Malawi
  • Marshall Islands
  • Mauritius
  • Micronesia
  • Montserrat
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Norfolk Island
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Philippines
  • Puerto Rico
  • Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Seychelles
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • South Sudan
  • Sudan
  • Swaziland (Eswatini)
  • Tanzania
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • Tuvalu
  • Uganda
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

Students can request additional waivers to the English Language Proficiency via Placement Test requirements beyond the exceptions outlined above by emailing iso@uclaextension.edu with details for our review.


Make a clear, readable copy of your passport biographic page containing your your name, birth date, expiration date, and the bottom two lines filled with letters and numbers.


If you are currently in the U.S. without an F-1 visa and want to change your current visa status to F-1, you will also be required to upload:

Though we strongly recommend that you return to your home country and obtain an F-1 student visa. 

Official copy of high school or college transcripts. English copy must be included with foreign language transcripts.

Each transcript submitted must display each course you took during your studies and the grade you received. Diplomas and/or Certificates of Completion will not be accepted in lieu of a transcript.

You and/or your sponsor are financially responsible for your educational and living expenses for the duration of your program and must provide financial certification meeting the minimum funds as listed in the table below. This is valid for the students as well as for the educational and/or living expenses of your dependents who will accompany you.

Verification of Bank Funds

We will accept a bank document dated within 90 days of your submitted application. All financial verifications must state the minimum amounts listed in the table below and be in liquid accounts.

Sponsor Statement or Affidavit of Support

If a sponsor will be paying for you, provide their signed affidavit of support, in English, signed and dated within 90 days of your submitted application which states the amount of financial support and the relationship to the student. 

Download Affidavit of Support Form (pdf)

Financial Guarantee (for government-sponsored students only)

If you are a government-sponsored student, you will only need to submit a copy of your financial guarantee with your application.

Calculation of Financial Support

Each applicant is required to show a minimum of $26,300 USD to fund school tuition and living expenses while an F-1 student enrolled at UCLA Extension. Proof of an additional $7,600 for a spouse and/or $5,000 for each child is required for F-2 dependents.

Est. Tuition + Living Expenses + Spouse + Each Child  
$26,300 $7,600 $5,000 = Total


Estimated tuition and estimated living expenses are the same for all students, regardless of the program you select and your planned living accommodations.
Information on dependents: You and/or your sponsor are financially responsible for the expenses of your dependents who will accompany you. As listed in the table above, the cost for the spouse is additional $7,600 and each child is $5,000 added over and above to your tuition ($6,300) + estimated living expenses ($20,000). This is used to calculate the funds required.


You are required to have health insurance for the duration of your studies. Health insurance fees are paid each quarter. New students are required to purchase health insurance and upload proof of payment. 

To purchase health insurance and view policy details, visit the Relation Insurance Services website or call (877) 246-6997 to speak to a representative.

Purchase Health Insurance

To provide proof of your own health insurance, you must submit the Health Insurance Waiver Form and provide documentation showing proof of coverage.

Download Health Insurance Waiver Form (pdf)

If you plan to bring any dependents with you (spouse or children), the following must be provided for each family member:

  • Name (as it appears on passport)
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Country of citizenship
  • Passport photo copy
  • Copy of marriage/household certificate (spouse); or copy of birth certificate (child)

Transfer Students

If you are already in the United States on F-1 visa status and plan to transfer your I-20 to UCLA Extension, you will also be required to upload:

Returning Students

You are a returning student if you have previously applied for an I-20 and paid the $2000 international fee at UCLA Extension. If you a current or former student but never applied for an I-20 at UCLA Extension, complete the new student application.

Click 'Show More' to display the additional documentation required per your current visa status.

If you are currently in the U.S. and want to change your current visa status to F-1, you will also be required to upload:

If you are an F-1 student transferring back to UCLA Extension, you will also be required to upload:

Show More


Step 3. Complete the I-20 Application


New Students

Applicants who have not previously applied for an I-20 with UCLA Extension, including transfer students.

New Student Application


Returning Students

Applicants who have previously applied for an I-20 and paid the $2000 international fee at UCLA Extension.

Returning Student Application

The $2000 USD international student fee is a one-time fee for visa advising, administration costs, and counseling services. This fee is charged once and remains valid for any future international program applications at UCLA Extension requiring I-20 issuance. Students returning to UCLA Extension who have already paid the $2000 application fee are not required to pay this fee again. Students who will be studying on visas other than F-1 do not need to complete this application.

Step 4: Confirmation

Please allow 2-3 weeks to process a completed application and to email a digital copy of your I-20. Digital copies are the default method of delivery due to ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Application Deadlines

Entry Quarter* New Students
Outside the U.S.
Transfer Students
with Current I-20
Fall Quarter
August 1 August 31
Winter Quarter
November 1 November 30
Spring Quarter
February 1 March 1
Summer Quarter
May 1 May 31

*Instructional dates for each quarter can be viewed on the UCLA Extension Academic Calendar




International Student Fee

If we have not created an I-20 for you, then you are eligible for a full refund of $2,000 for the International Student Fee.

If we have created an I-20 for you, but your F-1 visa is denied or you do not enter the U.S. using UCLA Extension's I-20, you can request a refund of $1,400 of the International Student Fee ($600 of the fee is non-refundable).

Health Insurance

You may submit a refund request to Relation Health Insurance if you will not be studying with us on F-1 status. Refunds are only possible within 30 days from the program start date and if you have not utilized the coverage.

The following fees may be non-refundable:

Certificate Application Fee (contact the academic department for review)

Express Mail Service Fee (cannot be refunded once the I-20 has been shipped)

Contact the International Student Office

Speak to a representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm (PT).

vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning