ART X 428
Learn hands-on strategies for creating memorable portraits though interaction with your subject, their environment, and meaningful objects within it.
What you will learn.
- Explore the various components that need to come together in an environment portrait
- Equip yourself with a good foundation of camera and lighing techniques for environmental portraiture
- Expand your conceptual approaches using metaphors and symbols, framing, composition techniques, editing and working in the series, and use of text
- Evaluate historical and contemporary environmental portrait photographers and iconic work done in different parts of the world
- Engage in reflection, analysis, and critique of image, both in individual portraits and in series
About this course:
A subject's environment lets them speak from within a photograph. Learn hands-on strategies for creating memorable portraits though interaction with your subject, their environment, and meaningful objects within it. Experiment with available and artificial light and creative re-purposing of environmental factors. Assignments help students build their confidence and ability to create successful portraits in real-world locations. Examples of iconic environmental portraits are discussed to illustrate strategies used by master photographers.
It is advisable that you complete the following (or equivalent) since they are prerequisites for Environmental Portraiture.
X 438.9 Photography I or equivalent experience.