Design History and Context
DESMA X 479.3D
Gain a broad understanding of design and its dynamic past to create inspired projects in the present.
Starting at $784.00
As few as 11 weeks
About this course:
Gain a broad understanding of design and its dynamic past to discover inspiration for the present. Survey the history of visual communication, design's sociopolitical and cultural contexts, and the artistic and technological characteristics of various movements. Students create portfolio pieces inspired by the designers and movements studied.
It is advisable that you complete the following (or equivalent) since they are prerequisites for Design History and Context.
X 479.6A Design Fundamentals, X 481.992 InDesign, and X 479.4A Typography.
Winter 2019 Schedule
These courses are fully online, and there are no in-person classroom meetings.
This course applies towards the following certificates & specializations…
What you will learn.
- Identify significant designers and design movements
- Recognize key artists and illustrators who have had a significant impact on design
- Develop an understanding of the chronology of graphic design periods and styles
- Understand the effect of changing technologies on the field of graphic design
- Identity the usage of historical styles of graphic design in contemporary graphics
- Create portfolio pieces inspired by the designers and movements studied