Introduction to Web Design Using WordPress and Joomla
COM SCI X 418.113A
Learn the essentials for building a website, including basic content creation, insertion of images and multimedia, installation of various plug-ins and extensions, how to apply and customize templates, and more.
Starting at $995.00
As few as 11 weeks
What you can learn.
- Establish your Internet domain and register it and host it
- Set up the basic shell for a website, and use an FTP program to move files back and forth between your local machine and the hosting folders
- Set up both a Joomla website and a Wordpress website using a host's QuickInstall or manually
- Publish articles/posts on your site using basic HTML formatting
- Include graphics, weblinks, and multimedia elements in your articles/posts
- Establish various types of menu and navigation around your sites
About this course:
Wordpress and Joomal, both open-source platforms, are extremely popular and effective for developing and maintaining websites, for everything from simple blogging and personal websites to sophisticated small business or corporate presence and transactions. Compare and contrast both, learn the pros and cons of each, and determine when to use them together for stronger SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Learn the essentials for building a website in each environment, including basic content creation, insertion of images and multimedia, installation of various plug-ins and extensions, inclusion of documents for download, form and menu creation, and how to apply and customize templates. Each student builds two fully functioning Internet-accessible websites by the end of the course.
Winter 2019 Schedule
These courses are fully online, and there are no in-person classroom meetings.