Teaching AP® Chemistry
This online course includes intensive sessions for teachers who are designing an AP® Chemistry course for their high school or planning to take over an existing program.
What you can learn.
- Understand the benefits and challenges of an AP® Chemistry course
- Learn about the AP® program, timing, and scheduling decisions that must be made when offering the course
- Get tips on establishing a classroom experience that inspires students to do their best work
- Learn strategies for teaching and testing AP®-quality, multiple-choice questions, and free-response essays
- Create your own syllabus for a two-semester AP® Chemistry course
- Get recommendations on curriculum and book selection, source books, audiovisuals, and web-based learning opportunities
About this course:This 45-hour equivalent course includes intensive sessions for teachers who are designing an AP* high school chemistry course or teaching existing courses. Initially, participants are introduced to the AP* chemistry course requirements and the format of the AP* chemistry exam through The College Board materials. The AP* curriculum is organized into Six Big Ideas. Modules on the Six Big Ideas form the heart of the course. Problems and questions from previously released AP* exams are used to relate the course content to the concepts and principles addressed by the exams. Participants interact with each of these Big Ideas by working through released AP* problems, gathering and sharing resources from the instructor and other participants, and completing assignments that are useful for developing an AP* course syllabus. Participants are also required to consider an experiment that can be performed in a laboratory at their schools or at home and modify the experiment to demonstrate guided-inquiry principals as required by the AP* curriculum.
Summer 2020 Schedule
These courses are fully online and have no regular meeting times.
When enrolling please provide a valid street address where a Federal Express shipment can be accepted and a telephone number; P.O. box addresses cannot be used except when military addresses are involved. APO, FPO, etc addresses are acceptable.
*College Board, AP, Advanced Placement Program, and the acorn Logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.
Enrollment limited. $100.00 nonrefundable