Teaching AP® Physics I
This online course includes intensive sessions for teachers who are designing an AP® Physics I course or are planning to revise or move into an existing program.
What you can learn.
- Understand the benefits and challenges of an AP® Physics I course
- Learn about the AP® program, timing, and scheduling decisions that must be made when offering the course
- Get tips on establishing a classroom experience that inspires students to do their best work
- Learn strategies for teaching and testing AP®-quality, multiple-choice questions, and free-response essays
- Create your own syllabus for a two-semester AP® Physics I course
- Get recommendations on curriculum and book selection, source books, audiovisuals, and web-based learning opportunities
About this course:This 45-hour equivalent online course includes intensive sessions for teachers who are designing an AP® Physics 1 course or are planning to revise or move into an existing program. While all participants are required to cover the core material, each individual is allowed to concentrate on the particular course that they teach or plan to teach. Administrators and AP® coordinators should find this course useful, as it explains the design, benefits, and challenges of an AP® physics high school course. Topics include instructional methodologies, textbook overview, AP® Course Audit syllabus development, curriculum resources, and the selection and planning of appropriate inquiry-based lab experiments. A highlight of this course will be learning how to create instructional materials to build and/or strengthen the students' conceptual understanding of physics principles as suggested by the latest physics education research. A portion of the program is particularly designed to focus on the new and experienced AP® teacher who may have classes composed of students who historically have been underrepresented in AP® courses. Materials published by The College Board are the basis for the readings. Hands-on assignments should prove useful and practical for teachers setting up their course.
Summer 2020 Schedule
These courses are fully online and have no regular meeting times.
College Board workbook to be mailed prior to class start date. There is a $70 nonrefundable amount to cover the cost of workbook, in addition to the standard $30.00 nonrefundable amount.
When enrolling please provide a valid street address where a Federal Express shipment can be accepted and a telephone number; P.O. box addresses cannot be used except when military addresses are involved. APO, FPO, etc addresses are acceptable.
*College Board, AP, Advanced Placement Program, and the acorn Logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.
Enrollment limited. $100.00 nonrefundable