Introduction to Civil Engineering for Horizontal Infrastructure
Learn the planning, design, construction, and project/construction management of horizontal infrastructure.
What you can learn.
- Learn about site conditions and constraints of an existing site and how those conditions and constraints affect the design and construction of horizontal infrastructure
- Define the scope of work for field surveys used for project planning and design
- Calculate population growth predictions necessary for infrastructure planning and design
- Perform basic drainage calculations required for storm drain system design
- Perform earthwork quantity takeoff for roadway/highway alignment
- Measure material quantities and prepare an engineer’s estimate for a specific project site
About this course:An overview of the planning, design, construction, and project/construction management of horizontal infrastructure. Infrastructure considered with this course are roadways/highways, earthwork, domestic water distribution systems, sewer collection systems, and storm drain collection systems. The course and coursework follows a project from concept to completion. Topics include site considerations and evaluation, project planning, infrastructure design, construction and site safety, and project closeout.
Spring 2020 Schedule
These courses are fully online, and there are no in-person classroom meetings.
Internet access required. Materials required.