Principles of Waste Reduction, Recycling, and Solid Waste Management
C&EE X 438.6
This course provides an overview of the fundamentals of waste reduction, recycliung, and solid waste management.
Starting at $999.00
As few as 12 weeks
What you can learn.
- Develop an understanding of the fundamentals of waste reduction, recycling, and solid waste management
- Characterize and design a solid waste characterization study
- Recognize the solid waste/recycling infrastructure
- Identify the recycling/waste management state/federal regulatory framework
- Define recycled materials specifications and recycling markets
- Apply recycling/MSW management technologies, conversion/alternative technology, and renewable energy
- Design recycling/MSW processing facilities
- Recognize the importance of the local government waste reduction, recycling programs, and environmental law
About this course:This course provides an overview of the fundamentals of waste reduction, recycling, and solid waste management. Topics include solid waste characterization/designing a characterization study; overview of the solid waste/recycling infrastructure and the recycling/waste management state/federal regulatory framework; recycled materials specifications and recycling markets; principles of integrated waste management approach; interface of sustainability, climate change, and recycling/municipal solid waste (MSW) management; basic environmental metrics for waste reduction and recycling; recycling/waste management aspects of life cycle analysis; greenhouse gas/carbon footprint of recycling and waste management practices; basics of landfill design, operations, and closure/post-closure maintenance; recycling/MSW management technologies; conversion/alternative technology and renewable energy; basic principles of recycling/MSW processing facility design; local government waste reduction and recycling programs; and an overview of environmental law, including coverage of specific cases. Topics are covered within the overall context of life cycle analysis and environmental sustainability/climate change, and provides a working knowledge for those interested in pursing a career in environmental sustainability and recycling/solid waste management.
Fall 2019 Schedule
These courses are fully online, and there are no in-person classroom meetings.