Television Development: From Idea to Small Screen
FILM TV X 479.482
Delve into the world of television development and learn how to successfully grow your idea into a full-formed pitch that is ready to sell. This class will focus on assessing the TV marketplace and crafting your pitch.
What you will learn.
- Find out exactly what sells and how it gets on the air in the current TV landscape
- Learn about the development process for series, miniseries, and TV movies
- Discover how to give notes, create writers lists, and assess attachments
- Understand what to put in your show's sizzle reel, and how to pitch it
- Pitch your show to industry guests during the last class
About this course:
In today's ever-evolving TV business and market, figuring out how and where to sell your "product" can be confusing. Once you've settled on an idea, then what are the next steps? How do TV shows get "on the air?" Producers, development executives, directors and writers will benefit from learning all about the development process for TV series, limited series and movies-of-the-week. Course topics include how to give notes, how to create writer lists, how attachments such as showrunners, producers, talent, directors effect your project; how to assess the TV marketplace by determining which networks/outlets are right for which projects, what you should include in your sizzle reel, and finally how to effectively pitch your idea. The course goal is to equip you with the knowledge necessary to successfully go from an idea for a TV series to getting it sold. At the end of the course you have the opportunity to pitch your shows to industry guests.