Introduction to Family Law
READ MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
Explore the legal issues relating to the formation, maintenance and termination of family relationships.
What you can learn.
- Understand the legal requirements for a valid marriage in California
- Compare differences between community and separate property and how that affects the division of property upon divorce
- Learn how spousal and child support is calculated
- Explore the factors used to to decide child custody and visitation in divorce and paternity matters
- Evaluate effect of premarital, post marital, and cohabitation agreements
- Comprehend family law court procedures and alternative dispute options such as mediation and arbitration
About this course:
This course offers students an introduction Family Law in California and will explore legal issues relating to the formation, maintenance and termination of family relationships. Subjects covered will include the legal requirements for a valid marriage in California, the characterization and division of community property and separate property, the allocation of marital debts, the computation of Spousal Support and Child Support, Child Custody and visitation factors in both divorce and paternity matters, the implications of domestic violence, and the laws related to premarital, post marital and cohabitation agreements. This course will also include discussions of laws and procedures associated with litigating Family Law matters and well as alternative dispute options such as mediation and arbitration.