The Taste of Dark Chocolate
Osher (50+). An advanced exploration of the origins of cacao and chocolate, and its chemical (and other ingredient) content in 70% and above artisan chocolate.
What you can learn.
- Understand how to properly taste chocolate
- Use the tasting to compare chocolate from around the world and identify their ingredients
- Comprehend the regional differences of cacao, as well as its processing
- Learn why dark chocolate can be beneficial to your health
- Enjoy a chocolate and food pairing
About this course:
There is candy, and then there is artisanal, hand-crafted chocolate. This course looks at the methods and selection process of craft bean to bar companies in contrast to mass manufacturers. We learn how fermenting and roasting (or not) affect the final product and how to read the back of the bar wrapping. Tasting is done horizontally with a variety of American and international producers. A chocolate maker will speak to the class at the second meeting.