How to Enroll

Who Can Enroll?
As UCLA's principal provider of continuing education, the majority of UCLA Extension courses are designed for the post-baccalaureate professional-level student. Enrollment is therefore normally reserved for adult students 18 years of age and older. Extension may consent to enroll younger students based on special academic competence and approval of the instructor. Students must be 21 to enroll in viticulture, oenology, and other courses where wine or other alcoholic beverages are studied and served.

Special Requirements for Travel Study

Minors may not enroll in travel study tours without the consent of the department; students 18 years or younger must be accompanied by parent or guardian.

Special Requirements for Courses Numbered 1 to 99, 100-199, and 900-999

In lower-division instruction (1-99), students must be high school graduates with a "B" average or one year of college, or consent of instructor based on special attainments (i.e., a superior high school record, special competence in a particular subject matter area, or other recognized criteria). In the upper division (100-199), 2 years of college or consent of instructor based on special attainments is required. There are no age limitations or restrictions in preparatory and high school level instruction (900-999).

How to Enroll—It’s Easy!

4 easy ways to register for Extension classes:

1. Online
If you know the Registration number (Reg. #) of your course:

Reg#s appear in boldfaced blue text in the print catalog, and in brochures or other printed materials in boldface text below the course descriptions, in the format “Reg#123456A”.

Go to and enter the Reg. # in the “Quick Enroll” field and press enter. This takes you to the course description for you to review; then click “Add to Cart”. From your cart, you can enter other Reg#s via Quick Enroll, or browse for other courses using the “Add More Courses” button. Click “Check Out” to complete your enrollment process.

If you don’t know the Reg. # of your course:
Click on the “Fields of Study” tab at the top of the page, and either:

  • From the left-hand navigation bar , select “Browse all Courses,” “International Students,” “Degree Credit Courses,” or “High School Programs” as appropriate to your needs, choosing your field of study and course category, or
  • Select a field from the list below , and either choose from the list of “New Courses” or select “Browse all courses.” You can use “Refine Results” to sort and filter your choices, or
  • Use the “Search” tab at the top right hand side of the page to find your course. Search results display course matches on the second results tab.

Once you’ve arrived at your course of choice, click “Add to Cart” to proceed. From your cart, you can enter other Reg#s via Quick Enroll, or browse for other courses using the “Add More Courses” button. Click “Check Out” to complete your enrollment process.

As applicable, you’ll be asked if you want to purchase parking, and if you’re taking the course for credit. You’ll also need to fill out your information, including mailing address, email address, phone number, and credit card information. This information is encrypted and processed on a secure site to ensure your personal information is safe.

In addition to enrolling directly online, you can also print out your online enrollment form and mail it in, or use it as a reference when you register by phone (see below).

2. By Mail
Mail a completed enrollment form by following the “Online” enrollment process described above and selecting “Check” as the payment method on the payment information page. Mail your enrollment form with payment to:
Department K, UCLA Extension, P.O. Box 24901
Los Angeles, CA 90024-0901

3. By Phone
Call (310) 825-9971.
Have your Reg#s and American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, or VISA card ready.

4. In Person
Visit us during office hours at our main offices in Westwood:
UCLA Extension, Westwood/Extension Building
10995 Le Conte Ave. 1st Floor Los Angeles, CA 90024
Registration/Student and Alumni Services
Regular Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-5pm

5. Paying By Wire or Electronic (ACH) Transfers
Payment may be made by wire or Automated Clearing House (ACH) transfers. A $20 wire processing fee must be included with each wire payment. For international wire transfers, please be sure to include the funds conversion rate when totaling the transfer payment amount. 

To ensure accurate and prompt accounting for transfers, please provide the following information to your bank:
UCLA banking information:
Bank of America
Global Client Services
Building A, 10th Floor
1655 Grant Street
Concord, CA 94520

ACH Routing No.: 121000358
Wires Routing No.: 026009593
Bank Account Name: UC Regents
Bank Account Number: 1499650103
Swift Code (for international transfers): BOFAUS3N

  • Include “UCLA Extension – 310-206-4426” in the wire description
  • The purpose of the transfer and any identifying numbers (invoice, student ID)

Send a copy of the wire receipt from your bank to

6. Paying for Fees Billed to a Third Party
Payment of tuition and fees may be billed to a third party — defined as a company or a government agency. If a company or a government agency is paying for the tuition and fees, UCLA Extension must receive a Purchase Order that contains an authorization to enroll a student and send an invoice.  

A Purchase Order must be on official company or government letterhead and contain the following information in order for an enrollment to be processed and an invoice generated:

  • Name of billed Company/Government Agency
  • Email address to send the bill
  • Mailing address for correspondence
  • Phone number
  • Name, phone number, and email address of person to contact for questions or payments
  • What is authorized for billing
  • Name of the student
  • Course(s) title, Reg#, section number
  • Amount
  • Approved by someone with authorization to spend, signature and printed name

Send Purchase Order and a completed Enrollment Form directly to UCLA Extension Cashier & Financial Services in one of the following ways:
Fax:  (310) 825-5686
Mail:   UCLA Extension
Cashier & Financial Services
10995 LeConte Avenue, Room 330
Los Angeles, CA 90024

A Purchase Order may not be accepted if there are any delinquent payments for the account. If accepted, then the enrollment request will be processed. Please allow 2-3 business days for the enrollment to be completed. Payment is due upon receipt of the invoice. Payment options are check, credit card or EFT. Please refer to the appropriate payment sections for information.

Wait Lists
Courses with enrollment limits that fill are closed to further enrollment. However, many of these limited courses support wait lists. To be added to a wait list add the course to your cart, click "add to wait list" and complete the check-out process or call the Enrollment Office at (310) 825-9971 . You will not be charged.

As spaces open, wait-listed students are contacted, offered space, and provided enrollment instructions. Priority is given to certificate candidates who need to complete high-demand sections for their program. Wait-listed students who remain unsuccessful are automatically sent an early notice of all sections of the same course offered in the upcoming term.

Pricing and Promotions
Discounts, such as those provided by the UC Alumni Association, may be claimed at the time of enrollment. Enter your discount code on the web when prompted to do so or provide the code to the enrollment agent when enrolling by phone or in person.

If you qualify for more than 1 discount, choose the discount that offers the greatest fee-waiver; you cannot compound discounts. When you enroll online, the system presents the most advantageous pricing possible.

UCLA Extension is an integral part of UCLA but receives no direct or indirect state or university funding for its general operations. Its program of continuing education is supported entirely by student enrollment fees, contracts, sponsorships, and philanthropic support. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information presented in the UCLA Extension catalog. However, all courses, instructor designation, locations, and fees described herein are subject to change or deletion without notice.

Restrictions | Permission to Enroll
Many of our courses and certificates are restricted, requiring you to apply for admission and obtain permission to enroll (PTE). The course description usually describes the minimum requirements for admission. 

You may attend, without charge, the first scheduled class in a course of 6 or more meetings—unless otherwise stated in the course listing and only if space/enrollment limitations permit. Visitors are not permitted at single-admission, weekend, or online courses. Before visiting, call (310) 825-9971 to see if the course has closed. Visitors with disabilities should call UCLA Extension Services for Students with Disabilities at (310) 825-7851 for access and parking information.

Changes in Credit Status
You may request a change in credit status from a course up to the last business day before the final exam. To change your credit status to Letter Grade, Pass/Not Passed, or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, consult your instructor to make sure there is enough time to complete and submit work that can be evaluated for a grade.

Change your credit status by logging in to your profile and selecting "Change Credit Status" or by calling the Records Office at (310) 825-3708, faxing your request to (310) 206-3458, or emailing .

Courses Numbered 1-199 or 200 with Any Prefix: Students must petition to withdraw from courses prior to the last meeting and sitting for the final exam. You may petition at online by  logging in to your profile or by emailing ; calling (310) 825-3708; mailing Student Records, Room 113, 10995 Le Conte Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90024-1333; or faxing (310) 206-3458. Failure to attend classes or make complete payment does not constitute an official withdrawal.

  • Courses Numbered X 300, X 400, 700, 800, and 900 Series Courses: No formal withdrawal is required.
  • The status of "W" (withdrawal) does not appear on official transcripts.

Canceled Courses
UCLA Extension reserves the right to cancel, reschedule, or combine courses; to alter and discontinue curricula; and to change instructors. Because Extension receives no state tax support, courses may be canceled at the first scheduled class if fewer than the required minimum number of students enroll. If a course is canceled or rescheduled, you may request a transfer to another available course, or refund. Students who elect to transfer and who qualified for early pricing of the canceled class will enjoy the benefit of early pricing for the new course.

If your course is canceled, discontinued, or rescheduled, or if the instructor does not accept your application to attend a restricted course which has an admission requirement or test, we will contact you and issue a full refund. Otherwise, a $30 administrative fee will be withheld from each course for which you request a refund; a $50 administrative fee will be withheld from concurrent enrollments.

Refund Policy

Refund requests will be accepted through the close of business on the final refund date, which is printed on your payment receipt. If you are eligible for a refund:

• Online: Visit, login, and select the course(s) to drop or transfer from the My Enrollment History menu.
• Phone: Call (800) 825-9971
• In-Person: Westwood Registration Office, 10995 Le Conte Avenue, Suite 113 Los Angeles, CA 90024
• Mail:  UCLA Extension, Department K, P.O. Box 24901, Los Angeles, CA 90024-0901

Mailed requests will be considered on time if the envelope is postmarked on or before the final refund date. Certificate candidacy and miscellaneous application fees are nonrefundable.

Drop/Transfer Requests:  A $30 administrative fee will be withheld from each class enrollment. Additional fees may be withheld as indicated in the course listings. A $50 administrative fee will be withheld from concurrent enrollments. Course transfer requests submitted on or before the final refund date will not be assessed a $30/$50 administrative fee. If your course is canceled, discontinued, or rescheduled or if the instructor does not accept your application to attend a restricted course, we will contact you and issue a full refund. Enrollments are not transferable. 

Allow two weeks for refund checks and one week for American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard and VISA credit vouchers. Refund checks are not allowed for fees paid by credit card. There are no cash refunds. Residual credit balances found on students’ accounts will automatically be returned after 180 days.

If the final refund date has passed, an exception to this policy will be considered only under the most unusual circumstances and only if the request is received within 90 days from the course end date. Send a letter describing your circumstance,
with appropriate documentation, to:

Refunds, UCLA Extension, P.O. Box 24901, Los
Angeles, CA 90024-0901; FAX: (310) 206-3223

or email:

Special Refund Policies
These are printed in course descriptions and special program announcements throughout the catalog. Please note that the last-dates-to-refund are usually calculated to fall earlier and the amounts withheld from refunds are typically higher.

Enrollment in 1-day or single weekend courses may be given by you to another individual if on the day(s) of instruction, you cannot attend. Enrollments in all other courses are nontransferable.

Textbook Refund Policy
Full refund on textbooks is given if the books are returned with the sales receipt (online customers should use their packing slip) in their original unmarked condition up to two weeks after the course start date, excluding the last week of instruction. After 2 weeks, a refund is given only if the book is returned within 1 business day of purchase. Students who withdraw from a course and receive a refund may return textbooks up to 2 weeks after the refund date with a UCLA Extension refund receipt. Refunds are made in kind: cash for cash purchases, credit for credit card purchases.

Concurrent Enrollment
Opportunities to take UCLA regular session daytime courses are available to the public Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters on a limited basis through UCLA Extension's concurrent enrollment program. After all full-time matriculated UCLA students have been accommodated, Extension students may enroll under the following conditions:

  • Space is available.
  • The Extension student submits proof that course prerequisites have been meet.
  • The instructor determines the student is prepared for the course and provides his/her consent
  • The Extension student has achieved a GPA of 2.0 or higher in baccalaureate-level degree credit classes already taken. 

Undergraduate classes (XLC 1-199) are transferable for unit, subject credit, and grade point average (GPA) in the college of Letters and Sciences at UCLA.

XLC 200-299 and XLC 400-499 are UCLA regular session Graduate and Professional level courses. Units earned at the graduate or professional level through Concurrent Enrollment will not provide advanced standing to students who are subsequently admitted to higher degree programs through UCLA’s Graduate Division. (Certain course requirements for higher degrees may be waived, but only with the approval of the Graduate Division on the recommendation of the student’s department at the time of admission.)

XLC 500-series courses (doctoral-level seminars) are open to Concurrent Enrollment but subject to various approvals.  The process takes approximately 8 weeks. For requirements, contact  Extension's Dean's Office, 10995 Le Conte Avenue Room 770, Los Angeles, CA 90024-1333. Call (310) 825-2362 for further information.

Inquiries regarding UCLA admissions and transfer policies should be directed to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at UCLA, (310) 825-3101, or to the appropriate academic department on campus.

Petitions to enroll are explained in the Concurrent Enrollment Brochure , which includes information on course fees, drop schedules, credit status, refunds, and withdrawals. For UCLA Department and School approval requirements, click here . Information also is available through UCLA Extension Registration/Student Services (310) 825-9971.

  • Cross-Enrollment Program: Students with undergraduate standing who are enrolled at any California Community College or California State University may enroll on a concurrent basis for a maximum of 1 course per academic term—with a maximum of 2 courses per academic year—upon payment of a nonrefundable reduced cross-enrollment fee (*) and after meeting certain requirements; contact your "home campus" registrar for complete information.

* Cross-enrollment reduced fees are set to the equivalent of community college fees at $30 per quarter unit, which yields $120 for a typical 4-unit course or $150 for a 5-unit course. 

Summer Pricing
For the Summer Quarter, Extension courses numbered 1-199 are priced in concert with offerings of UCLA Summer Sessions. For further information about UCLA Summer sessions visit

Click here to view instructions for students in Concurrent Enrollment courses requiring access to UCLA course websites.

To plan your schedule and check space availability, please consult the UCLA Schedule of Classes at .
For medical school academic planning go to .

Concurrent Course Designations
Please read the following carefully to be certain that the courses you select will meet your particular needs. Inquiries regarding UCLA admissions policies, graduation requirements, and other matters pertaining to degree programs should be directed to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at UCLA (310) 825-3101 or the appropriate academic department. Credit earned through Extension's Open Doors Program will be designated on transcripts with the prefix "XLC."

XLC 1-199 : Undergraduate-level courses (i.e., UCLA regular session undergraduate courses in which UCLA Extension students may enroll) are transferable for unit, subject, and GPA credit toward the Bachelor's Degree at UCLA's College of Letters and Science. Courses numbered 1 to 99 are lower division (freshman/sophomore); those numbered 100 to 199 are upper division (junior/senior). Courses numbered 195, 196, 197, 198 and 199 are deemed Upper Division Tutorials . In addition to faculty approval for admission, completion and approval of a special Course Contract is required for courses numbered 99, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199. See attached Course Contract form.

XLC 200 to XLC 299; XLC 400 to XLC 499 : UCLA graduate and professional level courses in which Extension students enroll. Credit earned in graduate study through concurrent enrollment may be used to satisfy requirements of higher degrees at UCLA and at other institutions at the discretion of the student's graduate division, department, school, or program advisor. (Applicability rules at UCLA are described in the publication Standards and Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA .) 

500-series (Special Petition Required) : Enrollment in UCLA 500-series courses (doctoral-level directed studies and seminars) requires a petition, indicating:

  • A reason for enrollment (e.g., course is required for completion of degree but is not currently offered at the student's home institution), giving proposed outline of course;
  • Confirmation of graduate standing and need for enrollment from the student's academic advisor or chair at home campus;
  • Verification of sponsorship from the faculty member with whom the student will be working (including proposed course outline) and approval by the Chair of the school offering the course;
  • Endorsement by UCLA's Dean of Continuing Education; and/or
  • Approval of the UCLA Graduate Division.

To allow time for evaluation and approval, the petition process must begin 8 weeks prior to the start date of the quarter in which you plan to enroll. This process is coordinated by the Extension's Dean's Office, UCLA Extension, Suite 770, 10995 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024-2883.

Explore. Experience. Expand.