UCLA Extension offers over 100 Academic Senate-approved certificates. Most are composed of courses that yield professional-level academic credit. UCLA Extension also offers shorter, informal series of courses that conform to the requirements of licensing boards, industry groups, corporations and state agencies in a variety of fields.

Establishing Candidacy
This website (uclaextension.edu) presents comprehensive descriptions of all certificates. Most require no special admission or application process. Each description includes a complete explanation of the academic requirements and details, such as whether the program extends eligibility for international students to enter the U.S. to study. Prospective students are encouraged to establish candidacy as soon as possible as the terms and conditions of award are fixed by the date of your candidacy. Curricula are subject to change. Please note: candidacy and application fees are not transferable or refundable.

  • Upon payment of fees, candidacy is established for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion. The duration of normal progress varies by program but is generally calculated for a pace of 18 units per year-less than half time for a full-time working adult. If you do not complete your program within normal progress, 60 days before your candidacy lapses, you'll be notified of a renewal option permitting you to extend candidacy and curriculum rules by a year for a nominal fee. If you allow your candidacy to lapse and later decide to re-establish candidacy, you must pay the full candidacy fee and are subject to the curriculum rules in effect at that time.
  • To ensure currency and relevance of your program, most courses must be completed within five years of your award date. This means that courses earned more than five years before your award date that are part of your record and your curriculum may have to be repeated even if earned with a passing grade.
Most programs allow for a limited amount of advanced standing and the waiver of certain curricular requirements based on coursework completed at other accredited institutions; for details contact the program counselor. Each program's public contact is announced on each certificate page on the site or call (310) 825-9971 or email enroll@uclaextension.edu and ask to be referred to your program's counselor.

Requesting the Award
When you are close to completing your certificate program, contact your counselor to request an audit of your transcript to expedite the posting of your award to transcript and to produce the document itself. Students who complete their certificate programs with a GPA of 3.5 or higher have the honor "earned with distinction" cited on the certificate and posted to transcript. Awards are posted only after final grades have been recorded. Formal graduation exercises are conducted annually at the end of each spring.

Replacement Certificates
Replacements for lost certificates are available for a fee of $45. Call (310) 825-9971 to verify your award and make payment or submit payment along with a brief note that includes your name as it was when you attended, the approximate dates of your attendance, your name as you would like it to appear, and the title of the certificate program to P.O. Box 24901, Los Angeles, CA 90024-0901. Replacements are not available for the informal citations received after completing a sequential program.

BruinCards for Certificate Candidates
UCLA Extension certificate candidates are eligible for BruinCard guest identification cards for a $10 fee. The card is valid for the duration of your program. For convenience, our certificate/BruinCard holders can deposit money on account with UCLA, then use the card as a fee-free debit card at the ASUCLA bookstore , campus food facilities, and various enterprises in Westwood Village. To simplify your commute, cardholders may purchase discounted TAP cards valid on L.A. Metro buses, and Flash Passes valid on the Santa Monica Blue Bus and Culver City lines. For more information about BruinCard, see BruinCard FAQ or call our Enrollment Office at (310) 825-9971.

The BruinCard is an optional photo ID. Our certificate candidates are not required to have a BruinCard to enroll in Extension classes, and all Extension students with a receipt showing current enrollment are eligible for educational discounts at the ASUCLA computer store and services provided by the UCLA Libraries.

Your certificate candidacy allows you to enjoy student affiliate recreation privileges on the UCLA Campus for a nominal, optional fee of $50/quarter. Enjoy racquetball or a workout before class, or unwind with weekend windsurfing at UCLA's Marina Aquatic Center. To pay fees, present your current BruinCard along with a printed verification of current enrollment from Extension's website (Student Portal) at the Recreation Sales and Service office at the John Wooden Center. For more information, contact UCLA Recreation directly at (310) 825-3701 or email info@recreation.ucla.edu.