UCLA Extension offers grants to qualified students who are not otherwise eligible for federal aid programs. Extension Grants are awarded based on financial need and an ability to briefly describe your educational objective. A grant is a form of financial aid that need not be repaid.
Eligibility: U.S. citizens and green card holders are eligible for Extension Grants with the following exceptions:
- High School students
- Candidates in certificate programs who qualify for Federal, State, or private agency financial aid
- Students who are receiving partial and/or full tuition funding through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) or Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) Program
- Continuing students in degree programs at UCLA or other institutions of higher education
- Students who are in default or in pre-claims status on Federal student loans
- If you have previously enrolled at UCLA, and have academic and financial holds on your student account, you cannot apply for an Extension Grant. Once your holds have been cleared, you may reapply for an Extension Grant.
The following courses are NOT eligible for the grant:
- Online courses
- UCLA regular session courses or concurrent enrollment
- Courses numbered 700-900-999.99
- XL 10 Statistics course
- Courses in which a student is already enrolled
Basis of need: To be considered for an Extension Grant, your gross income cannot exceed $1,800 a month for a household of one. This threshold increases 10% for each additional person in the household: household size: 1 = $1,800 a month; 2 = $1,980 a month; 3 = $2,340 per month, etc.
To establish financial need, you must submit the following:
- A signed photocopy of your/your spouse's 2017 Federal Income Tax Return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ 1040TEL) with all schedules and worksheets (or that of your parents if you were claimed as a dependent- parental tax returns are required for applicants born after 01/01/1995)
- A photocopy of your/your spouse's most current payroll check stubs dated within 30 days of the application deadline worksheets (or that of your parents if you were claimed as a dependent- parental pay stubs are required for applicants born after 01/01/1995)
- If you are currently unemployed and/or receiving public assistance, current documentation dated within the past 30 days verifying source of income and monthly entitlement is required.
Awards: Extension Grants are awarded in the form of fee waivers. Up to $400 in enrollment fees can be waived. Extension Grant recipients pay any amount over $400, and any tangible materials fee incorporated into the tuition. Extension Grants are not guaranteed from one quarter to the next. An Extension Grant may not be retroactively applied to courses taken in previous quarters of enrollment. Recipients must reapply every quarter and may be awarded up to eight courses. Repeat applicants must show a transcript with a grade of "C" or better in each course taken through an Extension Grant.
Applications: Click here to download the application form. (If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer, click here to download it.) The Extension Grant Application form is also available at the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office: Room 320, 10995 Le Conte Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90024.
Late applications will not be considered for an award. No faxes or emails are accepted. Postmarks will not be honored. Mail or bring your completed application and all necessary documentation to the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office, Attn: Extension Grant, 10995 Le Conte Ave., Room 320, Los Angeles, CA 90024-1333.
The 2018-2019 school year application filing periods for completed applications are:
|Quarter||Application Filing Period|
|Summer 2018||April 30 to May 15, 2018 (4:30pm)|
|Fall 2018||July 30 to August 14, 2018 (4:30pm)|
|Winter 2019||November 05 to November 20, 2018 (4:30pm)|
|Spring 2019||February 04 to February 19, 2019 (4:30pm)|
Applications are accepted only during the application filing period. All applicants are notified of approval or denial within three weeks after the above deadline dates.
Planning for an Award : If you are awarded a Grant, you are eligible to apply for any courses outlined in the section "Academic Requirements for Extension Grants". Because enrollment and your space in a class will not be processed or reserved until the full amount has been paid and because some courses fill quickly, timely planning is recommended:
- Make your course selections as soon as the catalog becomes available and budget ahead for an excess dollar amount if you select a course over $400
- Enroll as soon as you receive your award notice. Course availability is not guaranteed. If you select a course that has already closed, you will need to select a different course. If you select a course that is more than $400, you will need to pay the excess amount at the time of enrollment in order to reserve a space.
Note: UCLA Extension does not reimburse enrollment fees if you already paid for the class. Applicants who have not received an Extension Grant in the previous two quarters will be given priority.
Contact specific academic departments for assistance. Recipients of Extension Grants are bound by the following:
- All courses are to be taken for credit, letter grade. A grade of "C" or better in each Extension course is required for continuing eligibility.
- Classes from which recipients voluntarily withdraw will count as one of the eight classes of the overall award.
- A transfer to a different class from the one initially awarded is allowed only when the class you selected is canceled or closed prior to processing the application. See a Financial Aid Advisor in the Extension Financial Aid Office to approve appropriate substitutions.