Your Eligibility

You may be eligible if you:

  • have earned a high school diploma or GED*
  • are a U.S. or eligible non-citizen (must be documented)
  • are enrolled in one of the approved UCLA Extension programs
  • are enrolled in at least six units of an undergraduate or four units of a graduate program per quarter
  • have not defaulted on any educational loan or do not owe a refund on any state or federal student aid grant
  • have registered with the Selective Service, if required

*If you have not completed this requirement, call your local high school for information regarding GED completion and testing schedule.

Federal Pell Grants - (Grants are need-based and do not have to be repaid.)
Introductory Science is the only UCLA Extension program that qualifies for a Pell Grant. Eligibility is determined by the federal government according to a formula developed by the U.S. Department of Education and approved annually by Congress. You must be enrolled in a qualified undergraduate Certificate Program. Awards range from $400 to $5,775. When you file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid, you are automatically considered for a Pell Grant. If you are enrolled in a graduate program or you already have a Bachelor's degree, you are not eligible for a Pell Grant.

Federal Direct Loans - (Loans must be repaid with interest.)
The Subsidized Federal Direct Loan is based on financial need determined by a federal formula. A loan is subsidized when the interest is paid by the government until six months after you leave school or drop below half-time status.

The Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan is not based on financial need and is available to you regardless of income. Interest accrues from the date of the loan disbursement. In order to be considered for the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan, you must apply for the Subsidized Federal Direct Loan.

To maintain continuing eligibility for federal financial aid programs, students must enroll in and maintain at least a half-time student status each quarter, as follows:


Enrollment Status 

Undergraduate Units Needed 

Graduate Units Needed  

 Full-Time Student



 3/4-Time Student



 1/2-Time Student



Frequently Asked Questions

View and download the Federal Financial Aid Guide and Application Packet. Or email to request one. 

If enrolling in the Paralegal Training Program, click here .

Explore. Experience. Expand.