This program allows students with a passion for both feature film and television writing the chance to complete a full-length project in each genre as well as to acquire a working knowledge of the production and business elements of filmmaking. This combination of skills will serve students well, whether they seek to become professional writers or take their knowledge of writing into the business side of the entertainment industry. Courses are taught by instructors who are produced writers or entertainment professionals possessing significant related experience. Most are Writers Guild of America (WGA) members.
This certificate program cannot be completed solely online. Intermediate or advanced level track is also available for those who meet certain requirements. Please contact an advisor for more details.
Students must complete a total of 48 units from the Writers' Program and foundational courses in Entertainment Studies. Students must earn a 2.0 in each course in order to fulfill requirements. The pass/no pass option is not allowed.
- Receive advance notice of upcoming Writers' Program courses and enroll before the general public each quarter
- Get valuable feedback through a 1-on-1 script consultation with a Writers’ Program instructor after completion of coursework (value up to $775)
- Save money on application fees when entering the UCLA Extension Feature Film or Television Writing competitions
- Receive preferential placement on wait lists
- Gain free membership in the UCLA Alumni Association, plus discounts on future Extension courses
- Qualify for a Bruin Card* which can be used as a student ID for discounted movie tickets and bus passes and as a fee-free debit card at various locations on campus and in Westwood Village
- Enjoy recreation* and library privileges on the UCLA campus
- Participate in an Extension-wide graduation ceremony at UCLA’s Royce Hall and receive a gold-seal certificate
*Nominal fee required
Application & Candidacy Fee: $300.00*
Estimated Program Tuition: $9,897.00
Estimated Program Textbook/Materials: $200.00
Estimated Total Cost: $10,397.00
Cost estimates do not include incidental costs such as parking fees or copying fees. In some cases, a book may be required.
*This program is open admission. The Application & Candidacy fee establishes your candidacy in the certificate for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and allows you to access a variety of program benefits.
Click here to view frequently asked questions for this certificate program.
Valid quarter starts for full-time study: Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter
Minimum TOEFL Score: 100 (Note: a bachelors or graduate degree from an American university can waive TOEFL requirement)
Estimated Duration (Full-Time pace): 4 quarters
Meets I-20/ F1 Visa requirements: Yes
VA Approved?: Yes
Internships Available: Yes
Federal Financial Aid Available: No