Those who work with students making the transition from high school to college are all too aware of the need for training and information that is up-to-date, comprehensive, and practical. This online program is designed to be a preparation for counseling high school students effectively and helping them identify their postsecondary options. And because it's online, this preparation is available virtually day or night. To visit departmental website, please click here.
The Online Certificate Program in College Counseling is intended for:
- College and career counselors in a high school setting who want to develop their professional competencies
- High school guidance counselors who want to acquire this specialized knowledge and training to transition into the role of college counselor
- College admissions personnel who want to become more familiar with high school processes and other institutions? protocols
- Junior high and middle school counselors who want to provide their students with a head start in planning their post-secondary options
- Teachers who want to be better informed about the options available for their students
- Individuals who are interested in developing an independent college counseling practice
Students must earn a letter grade in a course in order for it to be applied toward the certificate of completion.
We are in the process of expanding this program and plan to add professional development courses which will also be offered in the online format. We are in an ongoing process of developing the course work. These are optional courses which don't offer academic units and do not apply toward the certificate. While generally people would take one of these courses as a returning student after they have earned the certificate, they can be taken at any time.
- EDUC 851 Counselors and Common Core State Standards (Summer/Fall)
- EDUC 852 Electronic Tools in College Counseling (Winter/Spring)
- EDUC 854 Counseling First Generation Students (Summer/Fall)
Application & Candidacy Fee: $100.00*
Estimated Program Tuition: $5,297.00
Estimated Program Textbook/Materials: $200.00
Estimated Total Cost: $5,597.00
*This program is open admission. The Application & Candidacy fee establishes your candidacy in the certificate for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and allows you to access a variety of program benefits.
Meets I-20/F1 Visa Requirements: No
Internship Available: No