This program offers screenwriting students a focused and results-oriented course of study in which they write one to three feature film scripts. Certificate students increase their exposure and industry connections and are eligible for perks such as a full-scale screenplay consultation (page limits apply). The Feature Film Writing Certificate is offered both onsite and online. Courses are taught by instructors who are produced writers or entertainment professionals possessing significant related experience. Most are Writers Guild of America (WGA) members. Required introductory courses may be waived upon department approval; however, candidates must still complete a minimum of six Writers' Program courses to earn the certificate.
This certificate program can be completed entirely online, onsite or a combination of the two. Intermediate or advanced level track is also available for those who meet certain requirements. Please contact an advisor for more details.
Students must complete a total of 18 units from the Writers' Program and earn a 2.0 in each course in order to fulfill requirements. The pass/no pass option is not allowed.
- Receive advance notice of upcoming Writers' Program courses and enroll before the general public each quarter
- Get valuable feedback through a 1-on-1 script consultation with a Writers' Program instructor after completion of coursework (value up to $775)
- Save money on application fees when entering the UCLA Extension Feature Film or Television Writing competitions
- Receive preferential placement on wait lists
- Free membership in the UCLA Alumni Association, plus discounts on future Extension courses
- Qualify for a Bruin Card* which can be used as a student ID for discounted movie tickets and bus passes and as a fee-free debit card at various locations on campus and in Westwood Village
- Enjoy recreation* and library privileges on the UCLA campus
- Participate in an Extension-wide graduation ceremony at UCLA’s Royce Hall and receive a gold-seal certificate
*Nominal fee required
Application & Candidacy Fee: $200.00*
Estimated Program Tuition: $3,906.00
Estimated Program Textbook/Materials: $200.00
Estimated Total Cost: $4,306.00
Cost estimates do not include incidental costs such as parking fees or copying fees. In some cases, a book may be required.
*This program is open admission. The Application & Candidacy fee establishes your candidacy in the certificate for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and allows you to access a variety of program benefits.
Valid quarter starts for half-time study: Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter
Estimated Duration (Half-Time pace): 4 quarters
Meets I-20/ F1 Visa requirements: No
VA Approved?: Yes
Internships Available: No
Federal Financial Aid Available: No