Designed for those who are interested in exploring careers as filmmakers and content creators in all sectors of the industry, the Entertainment Studies Certificate is ideal for students who possess a passion for entertainment and prefer to shape their own program from a wide variety of areas, including acting, directing, cinematography, development, and producing.
Students must complete a total of 12 courses (48 units) for the award.
- 16 units are comprised of 4 required foundation courses
- 4 units are comprised of 1 required course in Acting
- 4 units are comprised of 1 required course in Cinematography
- 4 units are comprised of 1 required course in Directing
- 4 units are comprised of 1 required course in Entertainment Development
- 4 units are comprised of 1 required course in Producing
- The remaining 3 electives (12 units) are comprised of other courses numbered X 400-499 in Acting, Cinematography, Directing, Entertainment Development, Producing, Business and Management of Entertainment, Post-Production, Writers' Program/Feature Film, Writers' Program/Television, Writers' Program/Special Topics in Film & TV, or Music. New electives are added regularly.
A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 must be achieved for successful completion of the certificate program.
The following course should be completed within the first 2 quarters of study:
- FILM TV X 404 Pre-Production and Production for Film and Television
For course scheduling information, please visit the Entertainment Studies website: entertainment.uclaextension.edu/certificates/entertainment-studies
Application & Candidacy Fee: $200.00*
Estimated Program Tuition: $8,400.00
Estimated Program Textbook/Materials: $550.00
Estimated Total Cost: $9,150.00
*This program is open admission. The Application & Candidacy fee establishes your candidacy in the certificate for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and allows you to access a variety of program benefits.
The program is open to enrollment in any quarter for both domestic and F-1 Visa students.
Estimated Duration (Full-Time pace): 4 quarters
Estimated Duration (Half-Time pace): Up to 12 quarters
Internships Available: Yes