Health coaching is an effective, evidence-based set of skills and competencies that allied and mental health professionals can apply in their practice to support clients and patients in making positive health-related behavior changes. The UCLA Extension Health Coaching Certificate integrates motivational interviewing, assessment for stage of change, applied positive psychology and mindful awareness practice to meet clients where they are and elicit their motivation to meet health goals. In the process, health coaches foster self-efficacy, realistic goal-setting and well-being.
Participants will learn:
- Transtheoretical model of change
- Motivational interviewing skills
- Strategies to support goal setting, planning, and accountability
- To support sustainable positive change in health behaviors
The certificate is offered both online and face to face so participants can choose the format that best suits their individual learning needs. Note: online certificate courses will be developed for launch in the Spring 2018 quarter.
Applicants must provide official transcripts documenting completion of a minimum of baccalaureate degree or higher level of education in a health-related field or one of the following:
- documentation of an associate’s degree in nursing, respiratory therapy, or other health-related field
- documentation of current state licensure in an allied health profession (nursing; clinical psychology; marriage and family therapist; clinical social work; medicine, etc.)
- current registration (i.e. dietetics; exercise physiology; physical therapy, etc.)
- educational certificate in a health-related field from a WASC accredited college or university (i.e. fitness instruction certificate; alcohol and drug abuse counseling certificate; patient advocacy certificate)
- current NCCA (or National Board of Medical Examiners) approved certification in a health-related field administered by a nationally recognized organization (i.e. American College of Sports Medicine; National Strength and Conditioning Association; American Council on Exercise; National Academy of Sports Medicine; California Consortium on Addiction Programs and Professionals)
Application & Candidacy Fee: $125.00*
Program Tuition: $4,375.00-$4,825.00
Estimated Total Cost: $4,675.00-$5,125.00
Costs are approximate and subject to change without notice. Estimates are based on the candidacy fee, course fees, and estimated textbook fees, but do not include additional expenses such as parking.
*The Application & Candidacy fee establishes your candidacy in the certificate for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and allows you to access a variety of program benefits.