What if a student tells me they have a disability?
By law, students may only receive accommodations that have been approved through the Office of Disability Services (ODS). If a student requests an accommodation from you directly, please refer them to ODS using the contact information below.
ODS will notify every instructor in writing of the students with disabilities currently enrolled in their classes, and what accommodations they must receive.
What if a student is approved for Otter, Livescribe, or Audio Recording?
- Please record your course lecture via Canvas as soon as is practicable.
- If using Adobe Connect, recordings are automatically available to students in your course Conference Room area.
- If using Zoom, recordings are not automatically saved via Canvas. Please review the step-by-step instructions on how to record your lectures in Zoom and post them to Canvas.
- For more information about privacy and data, please visit this UCLA Administration webpage.
What if a student has been approved for Notetaking Support or Advanced Slides?
Notetaking support is a general category of support that we are required to provide to students. Advanced slides, transcriptions, captioning services, etc., are potential forms of notetaking support that may be recommended according to each student’s individual needs. Not all forms of notetaking support are necessary for every student.
If you are unable to provide advanced copies of slides, or full transcriptions of your lectures, please contact ODS and we will attempt to make alternate accommodations for the student.
What if there are no transcripts or recorded lectures?
For courses in which transcriptions are unavailable, and a student’s approved note-taking option is not effective, please ask the student to contact ODS to determine an alternative.
How do I get direct assistance for Canvas matters?
If you have questions about how to record and upload a video to Canvas or need other types of technology-related assistance, please contact IDLS during normal business hours at 310-206-2329 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
24/7 Canvas Support is also available. You may submit a help request from within your course page, which will automatically generate a ticket to the appropriate support person.
How do I support a student with exam accommodations?
- Extra Time. If you are providing an exam through Canvas, you are able to adjust times for students with an extra time accommodation. Guidance for how to do so can be found at the following link: Accommodating requests from ODS for additional time.
- Exam Proctoring during normal business hours: Zoom. ODS will be proctoring live exams via Zoom on a case-by-case basis. Please complete the ODS Live Exam Proctoring Inquiry Form if you need additional support for your course.
- Exam Proctoring after-hours: ProctorU. ProctorU must be used for after-hours needs, as we do not currently have the capacity to proctor exams outside of normal business hours. Please contact IDLS if you are not currently connected to ProctorU through Canvas.