Course DescriptionMirroring the process that professionals undergo in current episodic series production, this course guides you to write a solid first draft of your script and work on polishing it. You begin by refining your story idea and outline as needed, and then write your script, focusing on capturing the essence of the show through its four-act structure, plot and story, multiple storylines, characters, scenes, and dialogue. On the business side, you learn how to develop your career game plan and hear from industry guest speakers on the business of the one-hour drama. Students must bring a complete outline to the first class. All student projects must focus on current shows; no pilots. This course counts toward the 4-course Writer's Fellowship Prep Specialization.
Course may be taken as a certificate program core requirement or elective.
For more information on programs and services offered by the Writers’ Program, please visit our website.
PrerequisitesX 430.4 Beginning Writing for the One-Hour Spec I.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Directing : Elective
- Entertainment Studies : Electives
- Feature Film Writing : Electives - Feature Film or Television Writing
- Film and TV Development : Electives
- Screenwriting: Film and TV Comprehensive : Defined Fifth Requirement, Electives - Feature Film or Television Writing, Defined Sixth Requirement
- Study Abroad at UCLA Program : Required
- Television Writing : Defined Second Requirement, Defined Third Requirement, Electives - Feature Film or Television Writing
- TV Writers Fellowship Prep : 2nd Course