Course DescriptionThis workshop guides you to write a solid draft spec script from your half-hour comedy outline and move as far ahead as you can in polishing it. You begin by reworking your outline to simplify your story, nail down the essence of your characters, focus and tighten scenes, create mood and pacing, and punch up dialogue from the blueprint you've created. You then move to the writing and polishing stage. On the business side, you deepen your knowledge of the current comedy series marketplace and map out basic career building strategies. Students must bring a complete outline to the first class. All student projects must focus on current shows; no pilots. This course counts toward the 4-course Writer's Fellowship Prep Specialization.
Course OutlineGo from outline to the first draft script of a half-hour series, mirroring the professional TV writer's room environment.
Course may be taken as a certificate program core requirement or elective.
For more information on programs and services offered by the Writers’ Program, please visit our website.
PrerequisitesX 430.6 Beginning Writing for the Half-Hour Spec I.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Directing : Elective
- Entertainment Studies : Electives
- Feature Film Writing : Electives - Feature Film or Television Writing
- Film and TV Development : Electives
- Screenwriting: Film and TV Comprehensive : Defined Fifth Requirement, Electives - Feature Film or Television Writing, Defined Sixth Requirement
- Study Abroad at UCLA Program : Required
- Television Writing : Defined Second Requirement, Defined Third Requirement, Electives - Feature Film or Television Writing
- TV Writers Fellowship Prep : 2nd Course