Course DescriptionTweets, friend requests, Facebook walls, and TwitPics. These are phrases you either encounter daily or they make your head ache. Social media networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Flickr are valuable tools in the digital media landscape, but only if you know how to properly leverage them for professional use. In this course, students set up and/or optimize a Twitter and Facebook page to aggregate news and collect eyewitness accounts in a local context. Through case studies, analysis, and discussion, learn when and how to use these sites- and use them correctly--to increase user activity, solicit feedback, and build an audience, all while maintaining a consistent voice that furthers your professional goals.
PrerequisitesX 432 Reporting and Writing I strongly recommended, or equivalent knowledge and consent of the instructor.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Fundraising : Defined Elective - Electives
- Journalism : Defined Elective - Elective List
- Journalism with Concentration in Journalism Writing : Defined Elective - Elective List
- Journalism with Concentration in Media Studies : Defined Elective - Elective list
- Study Abroad at UCLA Program : Required