Course DescriptionThis course introduces students to the legal concepts embodied in terminology to be learned and practiced in subsequent courses. Students learn the fundamentals of criminal and civil courts in both the federal and California systems. Instruction explores the stages of criminal and civil proceedings and basic legal concepts relevant to each stage, such as the constitutional rights of defendants in criminal cases. The course covers the key constitutional provisions, statutes, court decisions, and rules that interpreters often encounter. Students are introduced to shorthand terms commonly substituted for formal legal terminology by lawyers in both systems.
Course OutlineThis course introduces students to the legal concepts embodied in terminology. Students learn the fundamentals of criminal and civil courts in both the federal and California systems.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Academic Intensive English Program (AIEP) : AIEP
- American Culture and Communication : American Culture and Communication
- Intensive English Communication Program (IECP) : IECP
- Legal Interpretation and Translation Chinese/English : Required
- Legal Interpretation and Translation Spanish/English : Required
- Study Abroad at UCLA Program : Required