Course DescriptionThis overview is designed for those interested in a career in music publishing as well as for business and personal managers and attorneys who desire a working knowledge of the music publishing industry. Topics include copyright basics; songwriter agreements; setting up domestic licensing for records, motion pictures, television, print, commercials, and other areas; aspects of foreign sub-publishing, including negotiating agreements, and collection societies; and dealing with ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC. Detailed discussions also cover trends and revenue opportunities in the evolving digital marketplace. Guest speakers include music industry executives and attorneys.
Course OutlineUnderstand the world of music publishing for businesses and personal managers. This course gives you a basic understanding of copyright law, songwriting agreements, and more through lectures, discussions, and guest speakers.
- Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) Credit 34.0 Hours
- Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) Credit - Legal Ethics 1.0 Hours
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Acting : Electives
- Cinematography : Cinematography
- Directing : Elective
- Entertainment Studies : Electives
- Film and TV Development : Electives
- Film Scoring : Electives
- Independent Music Production : Electives
- Music Business : Publishing, Electives
- Music Supervision : Music Publishing
- Study Abroad at UCLA Program : Required