Frequently Asked Questions

Which fine arts courses carry UC-transferable credit?
Courses numbered X1 through X199 are structured in accordance with requirements for UCLA undergraduate courses, but include subject matter not part of the regular undergraduate curriculum. X1 through X199 courses are transferable for unit credit towards a Bachelor's Degree at all campuses of the University of California.

In the fine arts, these courses include X5A Basic Drawing, X5B Beginning Figure Drawing, X5C Beginning Oil Painting, X22 Intermediate Oil Painting and X131 Advanced Figure Drawing.
What is the application process to take courses with UCLA Extension?
UCLA Extension courses are open enrollment, so there is no formal application process. Students may enroll online, or by phone at (310) 825-9971.
Where are your fine arts courses held?
Our courses are held in the 1010 Westwood Center, located at:

1010 Westwood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90024

Some fine arts courses may include weekend field trips or sessions at local museums or galleries.
Can I transfer Extension course units to UCLA, or the grad program of my choice?
Maybe! That is entirely up to the admissions office of the school to which you are applying. They may ask you to e-mail course descriptions or class syllabi to an admissions counselor, which we would be happy to help you obtain. If you think you might want to try to transfer course units at some point, be sure to take your courses for a Letter Grade (as opposed to "Not for Credit").
Where are your photography courses held?
The majority of our photography courses are held at the 1010 Westwood Center, located at:

1010 Westwood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90024

Some courses may also include weekend field trips, or sessions at a Los Angeles area lighting studio.
What courses count as electives toward the photography certificate?
Any photography course that is not a required course and that carries unit value is considered an elective. Elective offerings vary by quarter, so check the catalog for current listings.

Students may also take photography-related courses in other departments. For example, the Design Communication Arts program offers courses in Photoshop, which can be applied to the photography certificate as electives.

In addition, students must receive a grade of C or above in any course being applied to the certificate program.
I've had my DSLR camera for a few years, and have done some independent shooting, but have never taken a class. How do I know what level I'm at?
Most of our students begin with the course Introduction to Digital Photography. That course covers the following topics:
  • Aperture
  • Shutter Speed
  • Depth of Field
  • Focus
  • ISO
  • File management (including converting files, tagging, file batching and archiving)
  • Basic Lighting Skills (including contrast, direction, color, white balance, histogram)
  • Composition (including framing and perspective)
  • Digital imaging (including an introduction to Adobe Lightroom)

If you feel confident in your knowledge of the topics listed, you are ready to move on to an intermediate-level course. If your understanding is hazy or you struggle with some of them, the introductory course would be the best place for you to refine your skills and get a solid foundation of technical understanding. Many students who are not technically "beginners" take an introductory class as a way to test their current abilities and for the challenge of assignments and instructor critique.

How many students are there in each photography class?
An average class will probably have 15-18 students. The limit for most courses is 20.
Does the Photography Certificate meet F1 student visa requirements?

At this time the Photography Certificate does not meet F1 Visa eligibility requirements. International students are welcomed to take photography courses individually, or may use an existing Visa if applicable.

How long does the Photography Certificate last?

That depends on how many courses you take per quarter. Students who take two courses per quarter will finish the program in five quarters (or just over a year). You are free to skip a quarter, or take more than two courses if you wish – the schedule is flexible. Once you officially register for the certificate program, your candidacy is good for eight quarters (two years).

What is the deadline to join the Photography Certificate?

You can become a certificate candidate at any time, during any quarter. Courses are scheduled on a quarterly basis.

Winter: January – March

Spring: April – June

Summer: June – September

Fall: September – December

You can register for courses up until the second class meeting, space permitting (many courses do fill quickly once enrollment has begun).