This program’s curriculum is customizable based on each student’s individual needs and interests. Required coursework consists of specific unit counts completed at beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels of writing. Electives may be selected from any course in the Writers’ Program.
This program is perfect for...
- People inspired to write by real-life events
- People who love to read narrative nonfiction, memoirs, and essays
- People new to writing nonfiction who want to master the genre
- Writers considering graduate-level writing study in the future
What you can learn.
- Lean basic nonfiction writing skills like voice, setting, and dialogue
- Discover techniques of powerful storytelling
- Learn to turn real people into compelling characters
- Learn to write memorable scenes and stories
- Generate up to 250 pages of a manuscript
What our certificates have done for our students.
feel a certificate helped them enhance their careers
1 in 4
received a salary increase after starting a certificate program
switched careers after completing a certificate program
recommend a certificate program to others
Click below to view the required and elective courses, if applicable, for this program.
Estimated Cost Breakdown
All courses in this program are paid for individually. An application form is required to establish candidacy in this program. From the 'Apply Now' button, complete the online application and pay the application fee if applicable.
Application & Candidacy Fee
Estimated Program Tuition
Estimated program textbook/materials
*The Application & Candidacy Fee establishes your candidacy in the program for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and may allow you to access a variety of program benefits.
The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges and universities to disclose certain information for any financial aid eligible program that, “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”. This information includes program costs; occupations that the program prepares students to enter; occupational profiles; on time completion rate; and for the most recent award year: the number of students who have completed the program, the number of students who complete the program within the estimated duration, the job placement rate, and the median Title IV and private loan debt incurred by those who complete the program. For gainful employment information for this program, visit our Financial Aid page.
Exclusive Benefits for Writers' Program Certificate Students:
- Receive a 30 minute, one-on-one goal-setting consultation with a Writers’ Program advisor, who charts out certificate program curriculum based on current student’s level of experience, interests, and writing goals
- Receive advance notice of upcoming Writers’ Program courses and enroll before the general public each quarter
- Receive preferential placement on wait lists
- Within six months of the completion of certificate program coursework, receive a complimentary one-on-one consultation on 100 pages of your manuscript by a Writers’ Program instructor
- Interact, network, and share writing tips with fellow certificate program students through the Writers’ Program Certificate Students closed group Facebook page
- Plus, enjoy several other benefits simply by being a UCLA Extension certificate student