Adapting Literature, Myths, and Fairy Tales
Use familiar tales and stories as a jumping off point to craft your own young adult novel.
What you can learn.
- Identify powerful and timeless plots
- Adapt familiar stories and themes for young adult readers
- Translate classic tales into contemporary retellings
- Experiment with in-class writing exercises
- Identify your novel’s characters, settings, and point of view
About this course:Learn how to adapt classic literature to craft your own contemporary novel and boldly step into the fastest-growing genre in publishing. We explore how to put your spin on plot, theme, character, setting, and point-of-view and how to breathe life into your creation. With in-class writing exercises, you have a chance to flex your writing muscles and receive feedback on a high-level concept. You leave with an idea (or several) as well as a rough outline and synopsis for your novel.
Speak to a program representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.
Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.
Donate to UCLA Extension
Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.