Video Game Writing I
WRITING X 471.1
Learn the basics of writing for video games in this course covering foundation ideas in narrative design and collaboration.
What you can learn.
- Discover the key techniques of narrative design and game writing
- Generate a winning concept and develop characters who interact through gameplay
- Learn how various roles on development teams influence game projects
- Identify employment and freelance opportunities in the field
- Practice skills you learn by designing an independent game project
About this course:
Videogame players demand deep stories with rich characters, as hits such as Fallout 4, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and The Last of Us prove. Further, the rise of touch-screen devices of all sizes opens up exciting new innovations for storytelling techniques. In this course, you tackle all the key elements of narrative design and game writing, learning how to generate a winning concept, develop characters, integrate gameplay and story, and, most importantly, collaborate with a game’s development team. To make sure you know what it takes to work on a project and target possible employment and freelance opportunities, you survey the business side of videogames. You will learn the basics of designing your own independent project. The course goal is to develop a polished portfolio, including an interactive choose-your-own-adventure game.