The Young and The Reckless: Writing for Teens
READ MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
Enjoy a unique opportunity to learn from today's most exciting YA writers in a convenient virtual conference of prerecorded lectures and panels.
Starting at $60.00
As few as 2 weeks
Why you should attend.
- Learn from contemporary writers how works for teens can meet the needs of today’s readers
- Get tips on how to craft plots and characters that resonate and enrapture
- Understand your role and responsibilities as a storyteller for teens
- Take a deep dive into genres and how to build your story worlds
About this course:
Offered by the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program, The Young and the Reckless: Writing for Teens brings together the writing community and some of Southern California’s most accomplished writers and teachers in writing for young adults. Enjoy a unique opportunity to learn from today’s most exciting YA writers in a convenient virtual conference. Handouts and access to daily discussion boards included.
Live Zoom panels and networking events on Saturday, August 14 and Saturday, August 21
Prerecorded lectures and conversations available through September 30th.
Your registration fee includes:
- Keynote presentation featuring Aiden Thomas, New York Times Bestselling Author & National Book Award 2020 Longlist Recipient
- Eight pre-recorded lectures and conversations on craft
- Three live panel presentations
- Handouts and access to daily discussion boards
- Workshop group opportunity
- Access to Online Book Sale
Saturday, August 14, 2021
10:00am - 11:00am (PDT) - Opening Remarks + Speed Friend-making event
11:15am - 12:30pm (PDT) - Live Panel: Defining and Redefining YA Literature
Saturday, August 21, 2021
10:00am - 11:15am (PDT) - Live Panel: Who is Your Audience?
11:30am - 12:45am (PDT) - Live Panel: Staying Ahead of the Trend
1:00pm - 2:00pm (PDT) - Closing Reception
- Discovering Your Story's Theme
- Finding a Writing Community
- Mining Your Life for Stories
- Staying Motivated
- Asking the Right Questions
- Creating a Writing Practice
- Fundamentals of Story
- Learning From Your Messy First Draft
You will have access to the pre-recorded lectures, conversations, and Q&A discussion boards from Saturday, August 14 through Thursday, September 30. After that, you will have an additional two weeks to access and download materials, such as handouts or additional resources that the speakers may offer.
Meet the Speakers
This year's featured writers include: Aiden Thomas, Elise Allen, Francesca Lia Block, Pseudonymous Bosch, Mayra Cuevas, Camryn Garrett, Deborah Halverson, Lydia Kang, Sarah Kuhn, Axie Oh, Adam Sass, Eric Smith.
Sponsored in part by the Antioch University MFA program in Creative Writing.
Summer 2021 Schedule
Hybrid courses are taught online and feature a blend of regularly scheduled class meetings held in real-time via Zoom and additional course content that can be accessed any time through an online learning platform.