The Young and The Reckless: Writing for Teens
READ MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
Enjoy a unique opportunity to learn from today's most exciting YA writers in a convenient virtual conference of prerecorded lectures and panels.
Why you should attend.
- Learn from contemporary writers how works for teens can meet the needs of today’s readers
- Get tips on how to craft plots and characters that resonate and enrapture
- Understand your role and responsibilities as a storyteller for teens
- Take a deep dive into genres and how to build your story worlds
About this course:
Offered by the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program, The Young and the Reckless: Writing for Teens brings together the writing community and some of Southern California’s most accomplished writers and teachers in writing for young adults. Enjoy a unique opportunity to learn from today's most exciting YA writers in a convenient virtual conference of prerecorded lectures and panels.
Your registration fee includes:
- Keynote presentation
- Seven 45-minute special topic sessions
- Panel presentations with special guests
- Access to Q&A discussion boards
- Ability to access and download all materials
On Saturday, August 29, each pre-recorded session will be released hourly, starting at 9AM. If you are unable to log-in on the first day, you will be able to access all of the sessions through Saturday, September 5.
Special Topic Sessions
- Checking Privilege at the Door
- Considering Your Genre
- Creating the Complex Character
- Writing a Compelling Plot
Discussion Board & Materials
You will have access to the Q&A discussion boards for two weeks, from Saturday, August 29 through Saturday, September 5. After that, you will have an additional two weeks to access and download materials, such as handouts or additional resources that the speakers may offer.
Meet the Speakers
This year's featured writers include: Lilliam Rivera, Cecil Castellucci, Charlie Craig, Henry Lien, Cindy Lin, Aminah Mae Safi, Karol Ruth Silverstein, Sherri L. Smith, Amy Spalding, and Lee Wind.