Fundamentals of Blockchain Technology
This course offers an introduction to blockchain and distributed ledger technology (DLT) grounded in real-world use cases and practical application. The goal of the course is to understand blockchain technology fundamentals that can be applied across any domain, industry, and use case in both the public and private sector.
What you can learn.
- Understand the fundamentals, unique characteristics, and mechanics of distributed ledger (DLT) and blockchain technology, and how it differs from traditional technologies
- Appreciate and articulate the paradigm shift that blockchain technology presents and requires
- Complement expertise of traditional technologies with an understanding of decentralized and distributed technologies
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of how blockchain can improve a response to critical problems and challenges in both public and private sectors
- Understand how blockchain technology is different from the sometimes-better-known bitcoin
- Participate in meaningful discussions around the merits and risks of blockchain technology
About this course:The course aims to provide a solid and holistic foundation of the technology which is useful irrespective of the function and role of the student (project management, legal, compliance, operations, business development, IT/technology, digital transformation, finance, strategy, and others). It covers the fundamentals, including understanding the difference between decentralization, distributed ledger (DLT), blockchain technology, and bitcoin. It also covers blockchain’s unique characteristics which makes it a powerful solution to solve some critical challenges. The course also covers the blockchain structure (public versus private and permission models), smart contracts, and the blockchain stack (layers). While it is focused on blockchain technology, the course aims to position the technology in the larger context of digital transformation, traditional technologies, and as a complement to other emerging technologies (for example Internet of Things or machine learning). Students get exposure to real organizations, use cases, and continuously apply theory to real business problems.
Spring 2023 Schedule
Summer 2023 Schedule
Fall 2023 Schedule
This course applies towards the following certificates & specializations…
Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.
Donate to UCLA Extension
Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.