The Actor's Tool Box: Creating Emotional Truth
Gain acting tools and techniques to help you create true-to-life characters with emotional depth in this workshop, by learning how to draw emotional material from tools that are both external and internal to the actor.
What you can learn.
- Learn insightful tools such as sense memory, relaxation, imaging, and voice and body work
- Understand how to relive sensations to create a more truthful character
- Discover the use of imaginary people or objects to access emotions
- Utilize your voice and movement to sharpen your body as an instrument
- Perform a scene or monologue using the techniques explored in class
About this course:Gain acting tools and techniques to help you create true-to-life characters with emotional depth. In this workshop, you learn how to draw emotional material from an array of tools that are both external and internal to the actor. Those tools include sense memory, relaxation, imaging, voice and body work, and improvisation techniques. Sense memory involves reliving sensations experienced through your five senses and helps create a more truthful life for your character. Relaxation techniques help the actor loosen up and access sense memory. Imaging techniques involve the use of imaginary people or objects to access emotions, voice and movement techniques to help sharpen your body as an instrument, and improvisation increases your capability of being "in the moment." All these tools are explored in a supportive environment through weekly exercises. At the end of the class, you perform a scene or a monologue using the techniques explored throughout the class.
Summer 2020 Schedule
These courses meet in person and make use of an online presence to varying degrees.
No meeting July 4. Internet access required.