Music Licensing: Turning Talent into Dollars
Learn how to turn talent and popularity into revenue through different kinds of licensing rights, how licensing applies to the music industry, negotiating strategies, and more.
What you can learn.
- Understand exactly how the licensing process works to turn art into money
- Discover the nuances of licensing through lectures, case studies, and industry guests
- Explore rights and clearance issues, publishing deals, and representation agreements
- Understand how to market most of the many licensing opportunities available in the music business
- Learn how to avoid problems and scams associated with these new licensing avenues
About this course:In today's rapidly evolving music industry, licensing stands out as one of the most stable ways to make money. Turning your talent into dollars and cents requires an understanding of how the licensing process works. This introductory course for entertainers, songwriters, producers, managers, music supervisors, and music industry executives, examines the business issues associated with licensing rights in the music industry. Through lectures, case studies, and discussions with notable industry guests, instruction focuses on the business and legal aspects of licensing. Topics include detailed examination of the various types of licenses that apply to the music industry, rights and clearance issues, applicable terms from publishing and record deals, typical representation arrangements, and negotiation and networking strategies. By the end of the course, students understand how to make the most of the myriad licensing opportunities available in the music business and how to avoid problems associated with those opportunities.
Spring 2020 Schedule
These courses meet in person and make use of an online presence to varying degrees.
Internet access required.