History of Los Angeles
Study the social, economic, cultural, and political development of Los Angeles and its environs from the time of its founding to the present.
What you can learn.
- Describe the major eras of Los Angeles’ history
- Explain the development of Los Angeles as a physical place and a human and political, construct
- Analyze Los Angeles’ diverse social, racial, and ethnic groups and the interactions among them
- Relate historical events to current issues facing the city’s residents
- Synthesize information from primary and secondary sources
- Compose historical arguments in both informal and formal styles
About this course:This course presents a study of the social, economic, cultural, and political development of Los Angeles and its environs from the time of its founding to the present. Instruction emphasizes the diverse peoples of the area, changing physical environment, various interpretations of the city, and Los Angeles's place among American urban centers. Transferable for UC credit.
Spring 2020 Schedule
These courses are fully online and have no regular meeting times.
(Formerly numbered XL M164. Same as Chicana/o Studies XL M183.)
Midterm and final exams are proctored online. additional requirements include microphone, headphones/speakers, and webcam.
Enrollment limited to 25 students. Visitors not permitted. Enrollment deadline: April 3, 2020. Internet access required. Materials required.