My name is Deidra Duncan, and I will be your guide (and more) on our cyber travels through Intermediate Accounting.
Let me give you a quick background history of my life:
- Born and raised in Manchester, Tennessee. I'm an eighth-generation Tennessean.
- B.B.A. (Accounting) and M.B.A from Middle Tennessee State University.
- Earned CPA license in 1980 while working for two local public accounting firms doing primarily income tax returns, reviews and compilations, and audits of nonprofit organizations and governments.
- Worked for two years as an accountant at a local manufacturing plant where I was the assistant to both the comptroller and the cost accountant.
- Owned a public accounting firm in middle Tennessee for 15 years as a sole practitioner doing primarily governmental auditing.
- Worked as the Webmaster and developer for three years for several large Web sites.
Let's fast-forward to the present:
- Teaching online full-time. I teach classes in accounting and other business disciplines.
- My special areas of interest in accounting are fraud examination, forensic accounting, auditing, financial accounting, and managerial accounting. I am an associate educator member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners .
On a personal note:
- I enjoy learning new things, which is probably why I enjoy teaching so much. I like to show my students how the concepts presented in a textbook relate to real-life situations in the business world.
- I enjoy growing our vegetable garden every year, taking care of my pet cats, playing the piano, and listening to the radio.
- Working online enables me to look after my 92-year-old mother in our home and keep working full-time.