Picture Book I
WRITING X 441.1
Learn the basics of writing picture books for children in this introductory workshop.
What you can learn.
- Complete exercises to improve fundamental craft skills
- Explore characterization, story structure, setting, and point of view
- Develop a writing voice that is uniquely your own
- Complete a picture book manuscript draft
- Identify potential publishers for your work
About this course:
Created for the beginning writer, this course explores the various genres within the category of children's picture books, including nonfiction, writing in rhyme, classics, and concept books for young children. Writing exercises focus on improving fundamental craft skills, such as characterization, story structure, setting, voice, and point-of-view. You are encouraged to expand your creative thinking in order to develop your own unique writing style (your voice), and a peer feedback group provides a nurturing atmosphere for discussion of each writer's work. The goal is to complete a draft of a picture book manuscript and a market list of potential publishers.