Certificate Programs for International Students

Certificate Programs: How to Apply

COVID-19 Information for International Students

UCLA Extension will extend remote instruction through Winter 2021. Learn more about our instruction methods.

An I-20 and F-1 visa is not required if studying online/remote from your home country. We will resume offering on-campus courses as soon as conditions permit.

Please note, all UCLA Extension buildings are currently closed until further notice. Student services are available by phone or email.

New students outside the U.S.
Study from anywhere in the world from the comfort of your home. In Winter 2021, all courses will be offered in online/remote formats only. Medical insurance and the I-20 to obtain a student visa are not required and are not available if studying from your home country. Simply apply to your certificate of choice and enroll in courses before the start date.

For Spring 2021 and beyond, those applying to study in the U.S. should follow the application instructions outlined below. If we are unable to issue an I-20 for your chosen quarter due to COVID-19 restrictions, you may defer to a later quarter or request a full refund of the International Student Fee.

New students already in the U.S. with a F-1 Visa (Transfer Students)
F-1 students at other institutions in the U.S. may transfer their I-20 to UCLA Extension if studying full-time. Please follow the steps for How to Apply and Transfer Students listed below.  

Frequently Asked Questions for International Students: 

Application Process for International Students

The links below will help you to understand the steps required for application to a UCLA Extension certificate program.

Complete the following steps to become a certificate program candidate, and to obtain a form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status:

1. Apply to a certificate program

On the webpage of your chosen certificate, choose “Apply Now” to create a UCLA Extension student profile and pay the certificate program application fee.

2. Complete the International Student Certificate Program Application

Fill out the International Student Certificate Program Application. When all pages are complete, you will be prompted to pay the $2,000 USD international student fee in order to submit your application.

3. Purchase health insurance

Certificate program students are required to have health insurance for the duration of your studies at UCLA Extension. Health insurance fees are paid each quarter. New students are required to purchase health insurance and submit proof of payment along when you apply.

To purchase health insurance and view policy details, visit the Relation Insurance Services website or call (877) 246-6997 to speak to a representative.

Current health insurance rates (per quarter):

  • Student: $858
  • Spouse/Domestic Partner: $858
  • Each Child: $858

To provide proof of your own health insurance, you must submit the Health Insurance Waiver Form (pdf) and documentation showing proof of coverage.

4. Provide us with your supporting documents

Please email the following required documents to our International Student Office at iso@uclaextension.edu. These documents cannot be mailed or delivered to our office.

Include in the body of the email: 1) your student ID number, 2) your name as it appears in your passport, and 3) your selected certificate program. Without this information we will not be able to associate your documents with your application. 

Financial certification, such as a bank statement or bank letter, declaring you have a minimum of $26,300 USD, or equivalent, to cover your school and living expenses for a year. If you have dependents, make sure the financial certification includes those amounts. If a sponsor is providing the money for you, please submit an Affidavit of Support (pdf) from them, plus their bank statement or bank letter.

English language proficiency test scores (TOEFL iBT, IELTS Academic, or iTEP Academic-Plus), which must be no more than two years old. There is no need to mail us hard copies of your score report. Instead, have the official score report sent to you directly, and then you may email us the copy of the official score. If you are requesting a waiver of the English language proficiency requirement, please submit a completed English Language Proficiency Waiver Form (pdf) and supporting documentation, if applicable.

Passport photocopy. A copy of the page in your passport showing your full legal name, birth date, passport expiration date, photograph, and the bottom two lines of your passport filled with letters and numbers.

Transcript. Official copy of high school or college transcripts. English copy must be included with foreign language transcripts.

Change of Status Form. If you are currently in the U.S. and wish to change your status to F-1, we strongly recommend that you return to your home country and obtain an F-1 student visa. The other method is to attempt to change your status while you're located in the United States. To receive a change of status I-20, you must submit the signed Change of Status Form along with the copy of your current visa and copy of your most recent I-94.

Please note: we must receive all required documents before processing your I-20 request. 

If you are already in the United States on F-1 visa status and plan to transfer your I-20 to UCLA Extension from another school, complete the steps above for "How to Apply" and email the following to our International Student Office. 

Your I-20 must be transferred to UCLA Extension within 60 days after the last date of class attendance, or your last day of Optional Practical Training (OPT).


Application Deadlines

Entry Quarter* New Students
Outside the U.S.
Transfer Students
with Current 1-20
Fall Quarter
August 1 August 31
Winter Quarter
November 1 November 30
Spring Quarter
February 1 March 1
Summer Quarter
May 1 May 31
*Instructional dates for each quarter can be viewed on the UCLA Extension Academic Calendar


You will be able to track the status of your application in your student profile.

When your application is complete, please allow 2-3 weeks for us to process and mail your I-20. 

Receiving your I-20

The I-20 must be mailed directly to you. If you need to have the I-20 mailed outside the U.S., you must pay $40 USD for the ISO Express Mail delivery fee and it will be sent via DHL. If you need to have the I-20 mailed inside the U.S., you can pay the $40 USD for the ISO Express Mail delivery fee and it will be sent via FedEx. You will select the delivery method in your application.


If we never create the I-20 for you, then you are eligible for a full refund of $2000 for the International Student Fee. 

If your F-1 visa is denied or you do not enter the U.S. using UCLA Extension’s I-20, you can request a refund of the following fees:

  • $1,400 USD of the International Student Fee ($600 of the fee is nonrefundable)
  • All health insurance fees paid

The following fees are non-refundable:

  • Certificate Application Fee
  • Express Mail Service Fee (once the I-20 has been shipped)

Contact the International Student Office

Speak to a representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.

vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning