Complete the following steps to become a certificate program candidate, and to obtain a form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status:
1. Apply to a certificate program
On the webpage of your chosen certificate, choose “Apply Now” to create a UCLA Extension student profile and pay the certificate program application fee.
2. Complete the International Student Certificate Program Application
Fill out the International Student Certificate Program Application. When all pages are complete, you will be prompted to pay the $2,000 USD international student fee in order to submit your application.
3. Purchase health insurance
Certificate program students are required to have health insurance for the duration of your studies at UCLA Extension. Health insurance fees are paid each quarter. New students are required to purchase health insurance and submit proof of payment along when you apply.
To purchase health insurance and view policy details, visit the Relation Insurance Services website or call (877) 246-6997 to speak to a representative.
Current health insurance rates (per quarter):
- Student: $858
- Spouse/Domestic Partner: $858
- Each Child: $858
To provide proof of your own health insurance, you must submit the Health Insurance Waiver Form (pdf) and documentation showing proof of coverage.
4. Provide us with your supporting documents
Please email the following required documents to our International Student Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. These documents cannot be mailed or delivered to our office.
Include in the body of the email: 1) your student ID number, 2) your name as it appears in your passport, and 3) your selected certificate program. Without this information we will not be able to associate your documents with your application.
Financial Certification. You and/or your sponsor are financially responsible for your educational and living expenses for the duration of your educational program, as well as for the educational and/or living expenses of your dependents who will accompany you. All students and sponsors must provide financial certification that they are financially capable of meeting the minimum funds for a program. Minimum funds required can be found using the table listed below.
- Verification of Bank Funds: We will accept a bank document dated within 90 days of your submitted application. All financial verifications must state the minimum amounts listed in the table below and be in liquid accounts.
- Sponsor Statement or Affidavit of Support (pdf): If a sponsor will be paying for you, please provide their signed affidavit of support, in English, signed and dated within 90 days of your submitted application, which states the amount of financial support and the relationship to the student.
- Financial Guarantee (for government-sponsored students only): If you are a government-sponsored student, you will only need to submit a copy of your financial guarantee with your application. You do not need to submit a sponsor statement or verification of bank funds.
Calculation of Financial Support: use the following table to calculate the required minimum funds.
|Estimated Student's Tuition
||+ Estimated Living Expenses
||+ Each Child
NOTE: Estimated Student Tuition and Estimated Living Expenses are the same for all students, regardless of the program you select and your planned living accommodations.
English language proficiency test scores (TOEFL iBT, IELTS Academic, or iTEP Academic-Plus), which must be no more than two years old. There is no need to mail us hard copies of your score report. Instead, have the official score report sent to you directly, and then you may email us the copy of the official score. If you are requesting a waiver of the English language proficiency requirement, please submit a completed English Language Proficiency Waiver Form (pdf) and supporting documentation, if applicable.
Passport photocopy. A copy of the page in your passport showing your full legal name, birth date, passport expiration date, photograph, and the bottom two lines of your passport filled with letters and numbers.
Transcript. Official copy of high school or college transcripts. English copy must be included with foreign language transcripts.
Change of Status Form. If you are currently in the U.S. and wish to change your status to F-1, we strongly recommend that you return to your home country and obtain an F-1 student visa. The other method is to attempt to change your status while you're located in the United States. To receive a change of status I-20, you must submit the signed Change of Status Form along with the copy of your current visa and copy of your most recent I-94.
Please note: we must receive all required documents before processing your I-20 request.