Circuit Design 3: Digital Microelectronics VLSI Design
EC ENGR 870.03
READ MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
This course covers design approach and techniques to optimize for speed, area and power for Very Large Scale Integrated (VLSI) digital circuits from design to physical layout.
What you can learn.
- Refresh your basic digital circuit design knowledge
- Understand the VLSI design and its challenges
- Become proficient in optimizing digital circuits for speed, power, and area
- Identify the trade off between speed, power and area
- Evaluate circuit layout and fabrication and their impact on circuit performance, in particular, speed
- Gain knowledge of design rules and tools used for Design Rule Checking (DRC) prior to tape out
- Discover more about FinFet technology
About this course:
This course covers design approach and techniques to optimize for speed, area and power for Very Large Scale Integrated (VLSI) digital circuits from design to physical layout. It examines microelectronics design, MOS transistor characterization, non-ideal behaviors, fabrication processes, design rules, multi-layer interconnect engineering and modeling, standard and custom cell layout. It addresses design optimization techniques to minimize power, minimize area and maximize speed. It will cover basic digital circuits, and planar and FinFet technologies. It provides a condensed and focused look at VLSI chip design for the 21st century, something that every chip designer must be aware of.