The first step to a brighter future.
Each UCLA Extension academic certificate and specialization program requires an application; however, most programs are open enrollment. We encourage prospective students to establish candidacy as soon as possible. Program curricula and requirements are subject to change; however, your candidacy date will lock in the most current terms and conditions of your program or specialization.
How Candidacy Works
- Upon application fee payment and approval, your candidacy will be established for a specific time period covering normal progress toward completion. This period varies by program, but is generally calculated for a pace of 18 units per year—less than half-time for a full-time working adult.
- Please note that application fees may be nontransferable and nonrefundable.
- If you allow your candidacy to lapse and later decide to reestablish candidacy, you may be required to pay the full candidacy fee again. You will also be subject to the curriculum requirements in effect at that time.
- To ensure that our programs and courses reflect the most current and relevant academic content, you will be required to complete your program requirements within five years. Any program requirements completed more than five years before the award date of your certificate or specialization may have to be repeated even if you earned a passing grade.
- Most UCLA Extension programs allow a limited amount of advanced standing and the waiver of certain curricular requirements based on coursework completed at other accredited institutions. For more information, contact the representative for your certificate or specialization.
Once you have completed all of your coursework, please review the process for receiving your credentials.