The Business of Film Music
MUSC X 448.171
Focusing on the vital business skills needed to build and maintain your career as a film and television composer, this course features comprehensive coverage of current business and financial practices in the industry.
What you can learn.
- Uncover the role of agents, managers, and lawyers and how to make an advantageous deal
- Learn about collecting royalties and the roles of ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC
- Understand the legal issues surrounding contacts and liability
- Study the philosophy of building your own brand as a film composer including the role of social media
- Delve into the process of collaboration including building your team and communicating with directors/producers
- Gain insight from industry guest speakers regarding these various areas
About this course:
Focusing on the vital business skills needed to build and maintain your career as a film and television composer, this course features comprehensive coverage of current business and financial practices in the industry. You learn about the role of agents, managers and lawyers; making the most advantageous deal; the role performing rights organizations such as ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC in the collection of public performance royalties; and your responsibilities and procedures in collecting royalties for your work. You also gain an understanding of the difference in operating your business as a sole proprietor or as a corporation, and in the legal issues surrounding composer contracts and liability. Brand-building is an important component of a successful career: you study the philosophy of building your own brand as a film composer or as an assistant for another composer, and you explore the role of social media in the promotion of your brand. Collaboration issues are also discussed and include building your team and managing the work of others, communicating with your directors and producers, and working with contractors. Industry guest speakers share their expertise in these various areas and supplement extensive discussions and exercises.