Biochemistry: Introduction to Structure, Enzymes, and Metabolism
This course provides an introduction to biochemistry and is geared towards pre-medical and pre-health students. This course is the first and introductory course in the biochemistry series.
What you can learn.
- Establish the biochemical foundation necessary to pursue science-based professional careers
- Understand basic molecular units of the cell (amino & nucleic acids, carbohydrates, and lipids)
- Recognize enzymes and enzyme kinetics involved in biochemical reactions
- Understand metabolic principles of the cell and energetics
- Explore glucose metabolism via glycolysis
- Comprehend electron transport chain and oxidative phosphorylation
About this course:This course covers structure of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids; enzyme catalysis and principles of metabolism, including glycolysis and the citric acid cycle; and oxidative phosphorylation. Transferable for UC credit.
Winter 2021 Schedule
These courses have regular meeting times and are fully online, via remote instruction. Click “See Details” below for more information.