This program is perfect for…
- Students who want to improve their GPA to help their application stand out in the admissions process
- Those wanting to study with a flexible schedule: part-time, full-time, evenings
- Students preparing for the MCAT
- Students interested in taking individual courses and not the entire certificate program
- Career changers from a variety of backgrounds whose undergraduate major did not require math and science classes
- Networking opportunities with UCLA Alumni Association upon program completion and top expert instructors while in the program
What you can learn.
- UCLA curriculum recognized and respected by top medical and professional schools
- Rigorous and research-informed academic content
- Core disciplines of biology, chemistry, life sciences, math, and physics
- Wide variety of subjects in other science disciplines, humanities, or social sciences
What our certificates have done for our students.
feel a certificate helped them enhance their careers
1 in 4
received a salary increase after starting a certificate program
switched careers after completing a certificate program
recommend a certificate program to others
Virtual Open House
Learn how our program can help you achieve your pre-health goals in this informative, interactive session that includes an opportunity for general advising.
To complete this certificate, you must take a minimum of 12 UCLA-equivalent (XL) courses.* Nine of the 12 courses must be chosen from the following four core disciplines (a minimum of one course from each area):
- Group 1 – Chemistry (CHEM)
- Group 2 - Biological Sciences (LIFESCI, PHYSCI, MIMG, or MCD BIO)
- Group 3 - Math/Statistics (MATH or STATS)
- Group 4 – Physics (PHYSICS)
Select your courses from groups 1, 2, 3 and 4 from the course list below.
The remaining three courses can be selected from the four core disciplines as well, or students may choose up to three psychology, sociology, anthropology or language courses (must have XL in the course number), which may be required, or strongly recommended, for admission to many medical and health professional schools.
The Pre-Medical and General Science Studies Certificate qualifies for federal student aid.
In order to meet the requirements, students must establish candidacy in the certificate program and be enrolled in required courses for the program for the entire quarter in which you are receiving aid.
Not sure which courses to take? We're here to help.
- For a list of foundational courses typically needed by health profession, see our track-specific certificate planners underneath the list of courses below.
- Students who apply to this certificate program are also invited to a program orientation where they will be able to meet with the program’s academic counselor.
- Or just reach out to us if you have a question!
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-825-7093
Click below to view the required and elective courses, if applicable, for this program.
Track-Specific Certificate Planners
Whether you are bound for med school or another health profession, choosing the right courses to make sure your program's requirements are covered can be confusing. Click on your specific pre-health track below to see suggested courses. Students who apply to this certificate program are also invited to a program orientation where they will be able to meet with the program’s academic counselor.
Estimated Cost Breakdown
All courses in this program are paid for individually, unless otherwise noted. An application form is required to establish candidacy in this program. From the 'Apply Now' button, complete the online application and pay the application fee if applicable.
Application & Candidacy Fee
Estimated Program Tuition
Estimated program textbook/materials
*The Application & Candidacy Fee establishes your candidacy in the program for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and may allow you to access a variety of program benefits.
The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges and universities to disclose certain information for any financial aid eligible program that, “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”. This information includes program costs; occupations that the program prepares students to enter; occupational profiles; on time completion rate; and for the most recent award year: the number of students who have completed the program, the number of students who complete the program within the estimated duration, the job placement rate, and the median Title IV and private loan debt incurred by those who complete the program. For gainful employment information for this program, visit our Financial Aid page.
University of California, Los Angeles Undergraduate Certificate in Pre Medical and General Sciences
- This program is designed to be completed in two years.
- This program will cost $16,595.00 if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
- Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with $9,500.00 of debt.
For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/.
The Certificate in Pre-Medical and General Science Studies is approved for international students (F-1 student visa).
International applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting test scores from either TOEFL, IELTS or iTEP. Some applicants may be exempt from this requirement if certain criteria are met.
English language proficiency (minimum*):
- TOEFL iBT: 83
- IELTS Academic: 6.5 overall
- iTEP Academic-Plus: 4.5
I graduated from Brown in May 2015 but I was not able to complete all of my requirements for medical school. UCLA Extension has opened that door for me. I knew that I could not afford a traditional post-baccalaureate program and thus, UCLA Extension has been a great opportunity. By allowing me to select only the courses I need, I have been able to save money and also take the necessary steps to get closer to my goals. The small class sizes have allowed me to be more confident to ask for help from my professors and my grades have reflected that.