Introduction to Horticulture
BIOLGY X 494
An overview of horticulture and plant care, this course provides the knowledge to solve many of the problems commonly faced in keeping plants healthy.
What you can learn.
- Explore soils and soil amendments
- Explore plant physiology and Identification methods
- Address plant care methodology
- Introduce plant selection guidelines
- Identify and understand pest and disease management strategies
About this course:
Designed for beginners and experienced gardeners, this course covers the basics of garden care and provides the student with the knowledge to solve many of the problems commonly faced in keeping plants healthy. Topics include soils and soil amendments, fertilizers, plant physiology and identification methods, planting, pruning, and staking techniques, turf grasses, plant selection guidelines, and pest and disease control. The course also includes a brief history of horticulture and an introduction to taxonomy. Students are encouraged to bring in plants for identification and discussion. Includes field trips.