COVID-19 Update: All in-person classroom and hybrid courses are currently being offered via remote instruction, until further notice. Remote instruction courses occur in real-time during a live, pre-scheduled Zoom session where instructors and students interact. Learn more about all instruction methods.
This program is perfect for...
- Aspiring horticulturists or entrepreneurs with a passion for plants and the environment
- Professionals currently working in the landscape industry looking for career advancement
- Individuals interested in sustainability and plant science who are looking to transition into the green industry
- Gardeners seeking expert, science-based knowledge and skills for proper plant care
What you can learn.
- Plant taxonomy and identification, fundamental botany concepts, as well as basic plant nutrition and fertilization
- How to diagnose and treat common garden insects, diseases, and weeds, integrated pest management, and sustainable gardening practices
- Irrigation methods and design, water conservation methods, and how to leverage new technologies for efficiency
- Over 150 plants best suited for use in Southern California, proper placement within the landscape, and basic principles of planting design
- The physical, biological, and chemical properties of soils, and a holistic approach to landscape management and assessment
About this program.
Founded in 1974 by world-renowned botanist Dr. Mildred E. Mathias, UCLA Extension’s Horticulture & Gardening program has a long history of excellence. Designed for aspiring horticulturists and for professionals currently working in the landscape industry, the Horticulture Certificate provides the science-based curriculum sought by current industry employers.
Our program gives students a comprehensive approach to horticulture, teaching proper plant care, how to think strategically and holistically in any environment, and how to be successful and competitive within the industry.
What our certificates have done for our students.
feel a certificate helped them enhance their careers
1 in 4
received a salary increase after starting a certificate program
switched careers after completing a certificate program
recommend a certificate program to others
Click below to view the required and elective courses, if applicable, for this program.
Estimated Cost Breakdown
All courses in this program are paid for individually, unless otherwise noted. An application form is required to establish candidacy in this program. From the 'Apply Now' button, complete the online application and pay the application fee if applicable.
Application & Candidacy Fee
Estimated Program Tuition
Estimated program textbook/materials
*The Application & Candidacy Fee establishes your candidacy in the program for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and may allow you to access a variety of program benefits.
The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges and universities to disclose certain information for any financial aid eligible program that, “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”. This information includes program costs; occupations that the program prepares students to enter; occupational profiles; on time completion rate; and for the most recent award year: the number of students who have completed the program, the number of students who complete the program within the estimated duration, the job placement rate, and the median Title IV and private loan debt incurred by those who complete the program. For gainful employment information for this program, visit our Financial Aid page.
Now Accepting Applications
J. Michael Baer Horticulture Scholarship
Students pursuing the Horticulture Certificate with demonstrated financial need are encouraged to apply.
Next application deadline: January 15, 2021