Sketching and Plant Identification
Using the plants of Southern California, students learn plant taxonomy through observation using illustration and journaling.
What you can learn.
- Improve skills of observation
- Plan and establish a drawing format and process
- Keep a sketchbook/journal and documentation
- Improve basic plant identification knowledge through the use of sketching
- Improve illustrating/sketching techniques with pencil
- Increase knowledge of plant material
About this course:Held at locations in and around the Southern California area, this course is an introduction to scientific sketching and plant identification. Students are introduced to plant taxonomy and terminology. The instructor establishes a plant pallet to be studied for each location. Above all, students develop a keen sense of awareness and observation. CoVID 19 Update: This course will meet online via weekly zoom meetings. No assigned field trip locations. Students are required to do plant sketching and field observations on their own with the instructor's guidance
Winter 2021 Schedule
These courses have regular meeting times and are fully online, via remote instruction. Click “See Details” below for more information.
Elective course in Landscape Architecture and Horticulture Certificates.
Refer to required course materials for specific equipment necessary. Internet access required. Materials Required.