Sketching and Plant Identification
Using the gardens of Southern California, students learn plant taxonomy through obsrevation and recording using illustration and journaling.
What you can learn.
- Improve skills of observation
- Plan and establish a drawing format and process
- Keep a sketchbook/journal and documentation
- Improve basic plant identification knowledge through the use of sketching
- Improve illustrating/sketching techniques with pencil
- Increase knowledge of plant material
About this course:Held at locations in and around the Southern California area, this course is an introduction to scientific illustration and plant identification. Students are introduced to plant taxonomy and terminology. The instructor establishes a plant pallet to be studied for each location. Above all, students develop a keen sense of awareness and observation.
Winter 2020 Schedule
These courses meet in person and make use of an online presence to varying degrees.
Elective course in Landscape Architecture and Horticulture Certificates.
Students must provide their own transportation to field trip locations. Internet access required. Materials Required.