This program is perfect for:
- Aspiring television writers who want a thorough study of craft
- Screenwriters looking to expand their skills to television
- Entertainment professionals looking to expand their television knowledge
What you can learn.
- How to develop and write spec scripts
- How to write for a TV drama
- How to write for a TV comedy
- Insight from entertainment professionals and Writers Guild of America (WGA) members
What our certificates have done for our students.
feel a certificate helped them enhance their careers
1 in 4
received a salary increase after starting a certificate program
switched careers after completing a certificate program
recommend a certificate program to others
Click below to view the required and elective courses, if applicable, for this program.
Students must complete an additional 6 units from Feature Film Writing or Television Writing. Courses in Entertainment Studies are not eligible.
Estimated Cost Breakdown
All courses in this program are paid for individually, unless otherwise noted. An application form is required to establish candidacy in this program. From the 'Apply Now' button, complete the online application and pay the application fee if applicable.
Application & Candidacy Fee
Estimated Program Tuition
Estimated program textbook/materials
*The Application & Candidacy Fee establishes your candidacy in the program for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and may allow you to access a variety of program benefits.
The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges and universities to disclose certain information for any financial aid eligible program that, “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”. This information includes program costs; occupations that the program prepares students to enter; occupational profiles; on time completion rate; and for the most recent award year: the number of students who have completed the program, the number of students who complete the program within the estimated duration, the job placement rate, and the median Title IV and private loan debt incurred by those who complete the program. For gainful employment information for this program, visit our Financial Aid page.
Exclusive Benefits for Writers' Program Certificate Students:
- Receive a 30 minute, one-on-one goal-setting consultation with a Writers’ Program advisor, who charts out certificate program curriculum based on current student’s level of experience, interests, and writing goals
- Receive advance notice of upcoming Writers’ Program courses and enroll before the general public each quarter
- Receive preferential placement on wait lists
- Get valuable feedback through a 1-on-1 script consultation with a Writers’ Program instructor after completion of coursework (value up to $775)
- Save money on application fees when entering the UCLA Extension Feature Film or Television Writing competitions
- Plus, enjoy several other benefits simply by being a UCLA Extension certificate student