Financial Aid, Scholarships & Discounts

Military & Veterans Benefits

Programs serving those who have served.


UCLA Extension proudly participates in several government assistance programs, including:

  • Veterans Administration Education Benefits
  • The Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
  • Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)

See below for eligible certificate programs and how to enroll and apply for benefits.

Registration Deadlines for Receiving Benefits

UCLA Extension programs run quarterly. We recommend that you submit enrollment paperwork to our office at least two weeks prior to the start of the quarter to ensure that your selected course(s) are still open and that paperwork can be processed in time. Please see the priority deadlines for corresponding semester quarters below. Although you may still apply to receive military and veteran benefits after these deadlines, doing so could delay your reimbursement or other benefits. In some cases, you may have to defer course registration until the following quarter.

  • Summer 2024: June 10, 2024
  • Fall 2024: September 9, 2024
  • Winter 2025: December 9, 2024
  • Spring 2025: March 17, 2025

Veterans Administration Education Benefits

Veterans who enroll in specific UCLA Extension Certificate programs (listed below) may be eligible for Veterans Administration education benefits. 

If you are a veteran, contact the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) GI-Bill-1 or (888) 442-4551 to determine your eligibility. You may also contact them for all questions concerning your eligibility, amount you will receive, or payment dates. Dependents of 100% service-connected disabled or deceased veterans may be eligible to be considered for some benefits.

Note: UCLA Extension programs and courses do not qualify for the CalVet College Fee Waiver or V-RAP Program. For further information visit the CalVet website

Explore certificate programs eligible for veterans education benefits. Click on the individual program titles for certificate requirements:


Please note: certificate program eligibility subject to change. 

Enrollment instructions for students utilizing the following programs are outlined below.

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill
  • Chapter 32 Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 33 Post 911/GI Bill**
  • Chapter 35 Dependent’s Educational Assistance
  • Chapter 1606 Selected Services
  • Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program
Please note: Prospective students who are utilizing the Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) will need to reach out to our enrollment department for further instructions. Contact: or (800) 825-9971 Option 1 or 2

How to Enroll:

Step 1: Complete the appropriate Veterans Affairs (VA) Forms 

Step 2: Collect the following:

  • A copy of your DD 214
  • Most recent copy of your Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits. It must be dated within three months of enrollment with UCLA Extension. 
  • Official transcripts from any previous institution you've attended. You must include all transcripts, whether you received benefits or not.

Step 3: Apply for the VA Benefit-Approved Certificate Program and pay the candidacy fee (if applicable). Enroll in the first quarter of courses and pay applicable course fees.

Step 4: Submit your items from steps 1 and 2 to the UCLA Extension Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Office. Due to the evolving situation with COVID-19, we are accepting documents via email at Only complete packets will be accepted. 

Once all forms have been submitted and quarterly course fees are paid in full, your benefits will be processed. Please note: Only courses that are a part of your certificate program can be certified for Veterans Educational Benefits.

Each Quarter:

Following your first quarter, you are not required to submit the items from step 1 and 2 again. However, you will need to notify the UCLA Extension Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Office each quarter that you are enrolled in classes and have paid fees, and/or report incidents or extenuating circumstances that may affect your enrollment status. As a reminder, it is your responsibility as the student to notify our office in these situations. Failure to inform our office can result in the termination of your benefits, resulting in academic and financial holds to be placed on your account with UCLA Extension and the Veterans Administration.


**Chapter 33 Post 9-11/ GI Bill Students

Students utilizing Chapter 33 Post 9-11/GI Bill benefits have two options for paying quarterly enrollment.

Method 1 - Standard Payments

  • Step 1: Click Enroll on your selected course(s) to add them to your Shopping Cart.
  • Step 2: Select Checkout when ready and either log in (for current students) or create your student profile (for new students).
  • Step 3: Follow the instructions on screen.
  • Step 4: Forward your Receipts of Enrollment to the UCLA Extension Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Office at, to add to your paperwork.

Method 2 - Deferred Payments

  • Step 1: After submitting all required initial paperwork, inform the UCLA Extension Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Office you would like to process your enrollment through Deferment Payments. The Financial Aid Office will email you a Veteran Educational Benefits Enrollment Study Plan Agreement Form (Study Plan).
  • Step 2: Reach out to the academic program department of your certificate program to review your course selections for the quarter.
  • Step 3: Once the Study Plan is filled out and signed by you, your Program Advisor, and our office, you will submit this form and your Certificate of Eligibility through an online application provided by the UCLA Extension Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Office.
  • Step 4: The UCLA Extension Enrollment Team will review your online application and you will be given an email confirmation once enrollment is complete. 
Please Note: Students with less than 100% eligibility rating will be required to pay the difference of the cost of the course(s) at the time of enrollment in order to complete the enrollment. Your deferment will only reflect up to your eligibility rating listed on your Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits. For example, if your eligibility rating listed on your Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits is stated at 50%, you will be required to pay the remaining 50% for each of your courses for each quarter of enrollment.

Enrollment Status Requirements for Veterans Education Benefits: For Chapters 30, 31, 35, 1606 and 1607, A veteran must be enrolled in at least 6 unit-equivalents, as determined by the UCLA Extension Registrar, each quarter in order to receive Veterans Educational Benefits.

  • Full Time = 12 units
  • ¾ Time = 9-11 units
  • Half Time = 6-8 units
  • Less than Half-time = 4-5 units
  • Quarter time = 1-3 units

For Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients, a Veteran enrolled at more than half time can qualify for a monthly housing allowance based on DoD's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate for an E-5 with dependents. VA determines eligibility for housing allowance by calculating the rate of pursuit.

Rate of pursuit is expressed in a percentage calculated by dividing the number of credits in which the student is enrolled by the number of credits considered to be full time. A student with a rate of pursuit greater than 50% can qualify for the housing allowance.

12 semester or quarter hours are generally required for full-time training. The school submits the term dates and credit hours of the enrollment to VA and the VA will calculate the rate of pursuit.

For example, if 12 credits is considered full-time, a course load of 6 credits yields a rate of pursuit of 50% (6 ÷ 12 = .50), whereas a course load of 7 credits yields a rate of pursuit of 58% (7 ÷ 12 = .58). In this scenario, a Veteran would need to enroll for at least 7 credits (such as two 3-credit classes and a 1-credit lab) in order to receive the housing allowance benefits.

Distance or Online only Enrollments

If you are enrolled full time, but taking classes entirely online or through distance learning, the housing allowance payable is equal to half the national average MHA payment for an E-5 with dependents.

If you need assistance calculating your enrollment status, benefit eligibility or monthly housing allowance payments, contact the VA at (888) GI-Bill-1 (888-442-4551) or visit their website at If you are not a fulltime student, learn how your housing allowance can be paid.

NOTE: Your enrollment status may vary throughout the quarter because UCLA Extension courses have variable beginning and ending dates. We can only submit the published beginning and ending dates of the course(s) to the VA.  The VA calculates enrollment status based on the specific dates and number of weeks you are in attendance and the credit hours you earn during that period.

Academic / Admission Policy: These polices are established within the academic department and approved by the Deans Office. Students are required to adhere to information in the UCLA Extension Catalog which is applicable to all students. Public Law requires education assistance benefits to veterans and other eligible persons be discontinued when the student ceases to attend or fail to make satisfactory progress toward completion of their training objective (certificate program). The school is required to have and to enforce standards of progress and conduct for the programs to be approved for Veterans Administration benefits.

Attendance / Make-Up Work: Regular attendance at all class sessions is a primary obligation of the student. The successful completion of college work is dependent on regular attendance. Each UCLA Extension instructor will explain the absence policy for his or her class at the beginning of the quarter; however, failure to attend regularly may result in a reduction of the student's final grade, or in the student being dropped from the class altogether. In the event of a prolonged illness, instructors should be notified by the student. Veterans should contact the Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs office.

Repeating Courses: A student may not repeat a course in which a "C" or higher grade has been received. A grade of "D" may be repeated when school policy requires a "C" grade for transfer or the certificate requirements. Students may not receive VA benefits for repeated courses in which VA benefits were previously received.

Grading System / Minimum Satisfactory Grade Level: A VA benefit recipient must receive and maintain a minimum 2.0 ("C") GPA for all units for which they are certified each quarter. The following is how GPA is determined:

The UCLA Extension Grading Scale:

A - Superior
B - Good
C - Fair
D - Poor
F - Failure
I - Incomplete (work of passing quality but incomplete; may be revised by completing work as required)
DR - Deferred Report (see Students Rights and Responsibilities)
P - Passed (work which would otherwise earn a grade of "C" or better)
NP - Not Passed (less than "C")

All grades except Incomplete ("I") are final when filed by the instructor in the Final Grade Report.

Grade Reports: If you have provided us with an email address, you can view your grades, request official transcripts, change credit status, obtain enrollment verification, and update your personal information when you log in to the student portal. You may also inspect your grades in person at Student Services, 1145 Gayley Ave, 1st Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90024 or by calling (800) 825-9971. Official transcripts requests can be submitted online.

More on Grades: In all courses in which grades are awarded, instructors may grant students up to 1 quarter to make up an Incomplete (I).  After 1 quarter-or sooner if required by instructor-an "I" grade will automatically lapse to an "F." Grades "A," "B," "C," and "D" may be modified by the suffixes + or -. The temporary grade of "DR" will be posted if allegations of academic dishonesty are pending.

Special Grading Policy for X 300, X 400, and 900 Courses: UCLA Extension follows a nonpunitive grading system in these courses. For students enrolled in these courses "For Credit, Letter Grade," the grades "A," "B," "C," "D," or "F" may be recorded. However, if a student fails the course, no record of his/her enrollment will appear on the transcript. Similarly, for students enrolled "For Credit, Passed/Not Passed," a grade of "P" is recorded; if the student receives a grade of "NP," no record of enrollment appears on the transcript.

Any grade in which the student receives 0 grade points is considered failing for VA progress standards. The GPA is computed by dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of units attempted for which "A", "B", "C", "D" or Failing grades were given.

Veterans Minimum Progress Guidelines: Federal regulations require UCLA Extension to establish, publish, and apply standards of satisfactory academic progress for financial aid eligibility. If you fail to meet minimum progress standards, you will become ineligible to receive veteran’s education benefits until you are in compliance with the standards. If, during any quarter, you expect you cannot meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements listed, you should contact the UCLA Extension Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Office immediately.

Qualitative Standards:

  • The qualitative standard for Veterans is receipt of at least a "C" grade in each class. This requires at least a "C" in classes taken for a letter grade and a "P" for each class taken Pass/No Pass.

Quantitative Standards:

  • The quantitative standard requires you to be enrolled in at least 6 unit-equivalents, as determined by the UCLA Extension Registrar, each quarter in order to obtain funds. 
  • You must also successfully complete at least 18 unit-equivalents each year of your program. 
  • If your grades are 2.0 or below in a quarter, you are put on probation. You will have up to 2 quarters to bring up your grade to 2.0 or higher. After 2 quarters of probation, a veteran may be declined benefits if not making satisfactory progress toward the completion of their certificate program.

To ensure that veterans meet these mandated minimums, plan to enroll in classes with start dates at the beginning of the quarter. If those classes cancel, you will then probably have options for enrolling in other courses, thereby meeting your minimum unit requirement. If you enroll in courses with start dates later in the quarter and those courses cancel, you will have few or no options for fulfilling the minimum unit requirements and, as above, you will be responsible for payback. In other words, you will be held financially responsible regardless of the circumstances.

Withdrawal and Cancellation: Withdrawal from a quarter in which you receive veteran’s education benefits may apply as a quarter attended and may work to your disadvantage in reaching the quarter cap of your program. Cancellation of registration (prior to the first day of classes), however, does not apply as a quarter attended. Refund and payback of VA education benefit received is based on the date you officially withdraw or cancel.

Disqualification and Reinstatement: The Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Office monitors satisfactory progress annually. Progress is measured according to the number of quarters you have attended and the number of unit-equivalents you have successfully completed. If you have not met the requirements, you will be disqualified from receiving funds and your VA educational benefits will be discontinued until the deficiencies are satisfied.
Veterans’ education benefits eligibility is reinstated for the quarter following the quarter in which you reestablish compliance with the unit-equivalents-per-quarter agreement. For example, if you successfully complete all deficit units in Fall Quarter and therefore make up the deficiency, you become eligible for VA education benefits in Winter Quarter.

Appeals Process: If you fail to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards and are disqualified, you may appeal your disqualification. To appeal, submit a letter and supporting documentation to the UCLA Extension Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Appeals Committee. In your letter, be sure to explain the circumstances that led to your disqualification and how they affected your ability to meet the requirements. On written receipt of your appeals packet, the Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Appeals Committee will review your request and inform you in writing of its decision.

Privacy Act of 1974: The following Privacy Statement is provided for you to read and understand pertaining to information sought of all claimants for VA benefits. 
Public Law 93-579 entitled the Privacy Act of 1974 requires that all claimants be informed of the purposes and uses to be made of the information which is solicited. The following is furnished to explain the reason why the information is requested and the general uses to which that information may be put.

  • Authority: The Veterans Administration is empowered to solicit the information requested in this form under the authority of Title 38, United States Code.
  • Purpose: The information requested by this form is considered relevant and necessary to determine maximum entitlement to the benefit for which you have applied.
  • Uses: The information will be used in your best interests in determining eligibility to the maximum benefits allowable by law. The responses which are submitted may be disclosed as permitted by law outside the Veterans Administration.
  • Effects of Non-Disclosure: Disclosure of the requested information is voluntary. No penalty will be imposed for failure to respond. However, the decision as to entitlement for the benefit you are claiming must then be made on the basis of the available evidence of record. This may result in a delay in the processing of the claim, payment of less than maximum benefits, or complete disallowance of your claim. Failure to provide information in connection with the benefit currently being sought will have no detrimental effect on any other benefit to which you are entitled.

Will my Veterans Affairs (VA) Education Benefits be eligible for every course that I want to take?
Only courses that fulfill a requirement for your certificate program can be reported to the VA for processing and for the purpose of determining your rate of pursuit. You may connect with your certificate program advisor to request for a course substitution evaluation. If the course substitution is approved, you must forward the approval to the UCLA Extension Financial Aid/Veteran Affairs Office.

Can I use the CAL VET Fee Waiver at UCLA Extension? 
The CAL VET Fee Waiver is not eligible or applicable for use at UCLA Extension. You may use the CAL VET Fee Waiver at a state, public degree awarding institution such as a community college, California State University, and University of California. UCLA Extension is not a degree awarding institution and offers certificates. This non-degree designation disqualifies UCLA Extension from participation.

Why do I have to fill out all this paperwork?
The Veterans Education Benefits paperwork establishes your Veterans’ file at UCLA Extension and your VA file with the Muskogee, OK Regional VA processing center. 

Why do I have to submit my official transcripts?
Please submit official transcripts of all higher education schools you have previously attended, whether or not you used VA Educations Benefits towards them. This helps to ensure there are no duplications in your course enrollments at UCLA Extension that you may have taken at a previous school. The VA requires all official transcripts to be part of your student record. 

Which VA education benefit(s) I am eligible to receive?
Only the VA can determine if you are eligible for VA benefits and your eligibility. You may call the VA at (888) 442-4551 to determine if you are qualified to use VA benefits. We will assist you in establishing your claim with the VA once you know which benefit(s) you are eligible to use, and then further, upon enrollment.

Does UCLA Extension participate in the California Veteran Fee Waiver Program (Dependents of Veterans with a Service-Connected Disability)?
No, our courses are excluded from the California Veteran Fee Waiver Program, making UCLA Extension ineligible to participate.

How can I find out how many months of education benefits I have remaining?
This information can be found on your eBenefits account. If you do not have an eBenefits account, we encourage you to enroll at You can also call the VA Education Benefits hotline at (888) 442-4551 to receive an update on the status of your remaining eligibility or request a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility.  

How do I know if I am eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation benefits?
Please contact the Los Angeles Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Office at (310) 235-7722 or visit their website for information about documentation and eligibility requirements for Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation

How long does it take to receive my money?
The first time you complete the application for VA Education Benefits, the Muskogee Regional Processing Office will take approximately 8-10 weeks to process it. During peak periods such as the beginning of the Fall Quarter, processing may exceed 10 weeks. Processing after the initial quarter claim, can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks.

When will my courses be certified with the VA?
Your course(s) will be certified with the VA in the third week of the quarter. 

Why are my courses submitted to the VA with different dates? Can they be submitted with the same date?
UCLA Extension’s certificate programs are classified as non-college degree programs. This classification requires us to submit the courses separately with the published start and end date of each course. These dates also reflect different course modalities for online and in-person courses.

How much Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) payments will I receive?
UCLA Extension will not be able to provide you with an estimate for your MHA payments. The VA will tell you the amount of your payments based on its calculations. Visit their website for information and facts regarding Monthly Housing Allowance and an estimated Monthly Housing Allowance Calculator.

Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

The following UCLA Extension certificate programs are eligible for the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).

Landscape Architecture

Paralegal Training Program*

Pre-Medical and General Science

*Applicants must apply for admission to be accepted into the program. View program page for more detail.
  1. Contact the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office to review the TAP procedures. 
  2. Choose one of the TAP-eligible certificate programs and schedule an appointment with the program certificate advisor to develop an Education Plan and complete the TAP Enrollment Agreement Form. 
  3. Contact your military branch for guidance on establishing eligibility and enrolling in TAP. 
  4. Once your military branch has approved your TAP request, please print your approval from their website. 
  5. Submit a signed copy of your TAP Enrollment Agreement Form to the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office. We will use the form enroll you in your courses.
  • The UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office is not authorized to approve students for Department of Defense TAP funding, nor may we counsel you on your eligibility or on available funding by your military branch. Please contact your military branch to secure funding.
  • TAP funding is not guaranteed. Students must reapply quarterly.
  • UCLA Extension requires that TAP recipients maintain a minimum progress standard of a letter grade C or P (pass) in every course.
  • Periodic follow-up sessions will be required to ensure that TAP recipients’ educational plans are up-to-date. You are responsible for notifying your certificate advisor and the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office immediately if you make enrollment or program changes.
  • In order to complete your enrollment, you will be responsible for covering in full any tuition-related costs not covered by your TAP award. 
  • UCLA Extension’s refund policies apply to all TAP recipients.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)

The Department of Defense Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) scholarship program provides financial assistance for military spouses who are pursuing one of UCLA Extension’s MyCAA-approved certificate programs.

For program eligibility requirements and restrictions, please contact Military One Source at 800-342-9647.

  1. Inquire with your Military Education Office regarding your MyCAA eligibility and establish your MyCAA account account. 
  2. View the list of certificate programs offered by UCLA Extension and select a program of interest.
  3. Contact the program specific department for more information using the phone number or email address found at the bottom the bottom of the certificate page.
  4. Create your Career and Training Plan/Education Plan in your MyCAA account by selecting University of California Los Angeles Extension as your designated school. Requests designating other schools will not be honored.
  5. You will work with the specific program department for your chosen certificate to complete the Educational Plan. The Educational Plan must be submitted to your Military Education Office and must be approved by MyCAA.
  6. Within 90 days of your course start date, email your MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) voucher and Educational Plan to UCLA Extension's Department of Budget and Financial Services. 
  7. Once the Department of Budget and Financial Services has all the necessary financial documents, they will submit your request to enroll.
  • The UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office is not authorized to approve students for MyCAA funding, nor may we counsel you on your eligibility or on available MyCAA funding. Please contact your MyCAA education advisor to secure funding. 
  • Course information on your MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) voucher must match UCLA Extension course information. In addition, your requested course must be listed in your Educational Plan or you will not be able to enroll. We recommend creating your Educational Plan with the assistance of a certificate advisor in your program of interest.
  • Your MyCAA FA voucher serves as a purchase order that authorizes UCLA Extension to enroll you in your course and invoice MyCAA for enrollment fees.
  • MyCAA awards are for enrollment/course fees only and may not be used to purchase books/supplies, lab fees, parking, etc.

Vets Count Scholarship Fund

For active duty U.S. military personnel and U.S. veterans, and their immediate families, who are interested in pursuing select Financial Management certificate programs, this scholarship may help to assist them in achieving their educational career goals.

Learn More

Contact Financial Aid

Our team members are here to help. Mon-Thur, 8am-5pm.

vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning