General and Organic Chemistry Laboratory II
CHEM XL 14CL
This chemistry laboratory course accompanies Chemistry 14C and provides the organic chemistry lab component necessary for pre-medical and pre-health students. This is the second lab course for the organic chemistry series.
What you can learn.
- Determine if a chemical reaction has taken place and predict the reaction products
- Analyze lab protocols and perform procedures for synthesis and analysis of organic compounds
- Recognize hydrophobic and hydrophilic interactions and predict the product
- Write balanced chemical equations for reactions
- Synthesize and purify a compound and analyze it using spectroscopic techniques
- Understand retrosynthetic analysis
About this course:This laboratory class covers the synthesis and analysis of compounds; purification by extraction, chromatography, recrystallization, and sublimation; characterization by mass spectroscopy; UV, NMR, and IR spectroscopy; optical activity; electrochemistry; and pH titration. Transferable for UC credit.
CHEM 14B, CHEM 14BL, and CHEM 14C with grades of C- or better.