General and Organic Chemistry Laboratory II
This chemistry laboratory course accompanies Chemistry 14C and provides the organic chemistry lab component necessary for pre-medical and pre-health students. This is the second lab course for the organic chemistry series.
What you can learn.
- Determine if a chemical reaction has taken place and predict the reaction products
- Analyze lab protocols and perform procedures for synthesis and analysis of organic compounds
- Recognize hydrophobic and hydrophilic interactions and predict the product
- Write balanced chemical equations for reactions
- Synthesize and purify a compound and analyze it using spectroscopic techniques
- Understand retrosynthetic analysis
About this course:This laboratory class covers the synthesis and analysis of compounds; purification by extraction, chromatography, recrystallization, and sublimation; characterization by mass spectroscopy; UV, NMR, and IR spectroscopy; optical activity; electrochemistry; and pH titration. Transferable for UC credit.
CHEM XL 14B General Chemistry for Life Scientists II, CHEM XL 14BL General and Organic Chemistry Laboratory I, and CHEM XL 14C Structure of Organic Molecules.