Fundamentals of Blockchain Technology
This course offers an introduction to blockchain and distributed ledger technology grounded in real-world use cases and practical application. The goal of the course is to understand blockchain technology fundamentals that can be applied across any domains, industries and use cases in both the public and private sector.
What you can learn.
- Understand the fundamentals, unique characteristics and mechanics of distributed ledger and blockchain technology, and how it differs from traditional technologies
- Appreciate and articulate the paradigm shift that blockchain technology presents and requires
- Complement expertise of traditional technologies with an understanding of decentralized and distributed technologies
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of how blockchain can improve a response to critical problems and challenges in both public and private sectors
- Understand how blockchain technology is different from the sometimes-better-known bitcoin
- Participate in meaningful discussions around the merits and risks of blockchain technology
About this course:The course aims to provide a solid holistic foundation of the technology which will be useful irrespective of the function and role of the student (project management, legal, compliance, operations, business development, IT/technology, digital transformation, finance, strategy and other). It covers the fundamentals including understanding the difference between decentralization, distributed ledger, blockchain technology and bitcoin. It also covers blockchain’s unique characteristics which makes it a powerful solution to solve some critical challenges. The course will also cover the blockchain structure (public versus private and permission models), smart contracts and the blockchain stack (layers). While it will be focused on blockchain technology, the course aims to position the technology in the larger context of digital transformation, traditional technologies and as a complement to other emerging technologies (for example Internet of Things or machine learning). Students will get exposure of real organizations, use cases and continuously apply the theory to real business problems.
Spring 2021 Schedule
These courses are fully online and have no regular meeting times.